There’s a lot of times where Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D does things that surprise me. Enter a framework world where Hydra rules the world? Didn’t see that one coming. The team gets thrust into the future? Damn WTF. However, “Option Two” gives me one of the most surprising moments I’ve seen in a while on AoS.
Talbot gives himself powers in the particle infusion chamber and now has powers. Gravitonium fueled powers. Uh Oh.
Call me worrisome but Talbot having powers could end up being the thing that causes the world to be cracked open like a egg. As we have saw, Talbot’s not in the best state mentally obviously. Being brainwashed by Hydra has torn him apart. Now add onto to that some heavy-duty powers and you have the potential for some awfully bad things to happen. Yes, Talbot is able to save Coulson from some invading members of “The Confederacy” but the look in his eye as he’s doing so fills you with chills down your spine.
Talbot’s last minute save is helpful as the team is broken apart at this very moment. For those keeping score – Daisy is mad at Fitz/Yo-Yo, Mack is upset at FitzSimmons and Yo-Yo, Yo-Yo is mad at everyone for being mad for her killing Ruby. This is a very heated argument for a little while till Dad Coulson stops it. It’s tough to watch because you care about these characters so much like a family (Which is what Yo-Yo calls them when she reveals (FINALLY) what her future self said to Coulson). This isn’t like the OTA/NTA arguments on Arrow which feels like a bunch of whining babies complaining for no reason whatsoever. All the characters are in the right and the wrong here. You can understand their thoughts and motivations.
- Daisy is upset because she saw redemption in Ruby and that was taken away from her without a choice.
- Yo-Yo lost her damn arms to Ruby and she thought “Kill Ruby, save the world”
- Mack was tricked by his best friends and the person he loves more than anyone in this world. This fact is hammered home later when Mack and Yo-Yo finally have their much-needed one on one conversation. I don’t know if they will make it but to at least have it out in the open helps.
- FitzSimmons just want to survive together.
So when the a giant spaceship shows up above the lighthouse, the agents might not be in the best shape for a fight. Even with the lighthouse under lockdown (for maybe 15 years because Coulson pressed the wrong button?) , it’s invaded by Marauders with foot-long claws!!
Here we get the feel of earlier in the season when some episodes felt like a horror/thriller film. Deke saves Fitz from one of the creatures and gets Grandpa Fitz’s pat on the back finally. Things look bad till Talbot makes his desperate gamble to save everyone and it works….for now.
So where do we go from here? It looks like Talbot might be the ace in the hole S.H.I.E.L.D needs to combat the alien horde. Also it wouldn’t shock me if Talbot is the new “Destroyer of Worlds”. If that is the case then the time loop might still be going and going and going….
Whatever happens next , S.H.I.E.L.D needs to reunite as not just a team but a family to break free from this. If there’s anyone I believe in, I believe in Coulson and his team
- Daisy is missing during the Marauder invasion as she leaves before the lockdown to visit Mack’s old friend “The Candyman”. Candyman tells her that he has something that could cure Phil but it’s missing a key ingredient. One that only Daisy’s mom had. So you know what that means : Some good old-fashioned grave digging!!!
- Candyman tells Daisy some weird things are happening in New York which could be a reference to Avengers : Infinity War. But also weird things happen in New York everyday so I’m not quite so sure.
- Fitz and Simmons defending each other : Marriage Goals
- Fitz and Simmons having to split up : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- Can’t say enough about Natalia Cordova’s performance in this episode (or this whole season). Her face as she talks to Mack is one that slowly breaks your heart as her voice slowly breaks with it. Her telling Coulson that the team is her family was such a emotional scene and one that shows how much Yo-Yo truly loves these people. Just great work by Natalia here.
- May mentions that Piper said “Coulson would connect the pieces together” – So is Piper right or future Yo-Yo right???
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D airs on Friday Nights at 9 pm on ABC.