Have you heard of this book? If you haven’t – you need to listen to me when I say that it’s one of those books that you stop to read, and before you know it – you have read the entire thing and your heart has explosions that leaves you angry, breathless, and aching for understanding. It’s a book that makes you examine every emotion and at the end of the day – you really do learn ‘How to Love’
Before: Reena Montero has loved Sawyer LeGrande for as long as she can remember: as natural as breathing, as endless as time. But he’s never seemed to notice that Reena even exists…until one day, impossibly, he does. Reena and Sawyer fall in messy, complicated love. But then Sawyer disappears from their humid Florida town without a word, leaving a devastated—and pregnant—Reena behind.
After: Almost three years have passed, and there’s a new love in Reena’s life: her daughter, Hannah. Reena’s gotten used to being without Sawyer, and she’s finally getting the hang of this strange, unexpected life. But just as swiftly and suddenly as he disappeared, Sawyer turns up again. Reena doesn’t want anything to do with him, though she’d be lying if she said Sawyer’s being back wasn’t stirring something in her. After everything that’s happened, can Reena really let herself love Sawyer LeGrande again?
In this breathtaking debut, Katie Cotugno weaves together the story of one couple falling in love—twice
Girls, lets face it we all fall inlove. And most of us make the mistake of falling for the guy, cause he’s that guy. The mysterious guy who makes you feel perfect, who makes you feel loved, who makes you feel like you are the only girl that matters even when you are standing next to someone who actually is.
Here’s the reasons you will fall for ‘How to Love’.
(1) Reena. She’s that girl you want to be. Granted she’s made her mistakes – and I have called her a bitch because she just doesn’t see things the way you want her to. But she’s this strength and she’s waiting to be unleashed. She’s the person that we all wish that we had the strength to be.
(2) Friendships. As some of us know we all think or thought that friendships in our high school years were the end all, be all. But we all grow to learn about the things that will last and the things that won’t. And Reena learns about friendships. The power of how strong they can be and how at the end of the day, we can overcome anything.
(3) Parental Love. I don’t think that there are many people who get just how hard it is for a girl when your Dad can’t look you in the eyes anymore. When he’s had all these expectations for you and you let him down – when you take away his dreams for you – and all you are doing is screaming for him to see that you still are the little girl that wants him to sit with you until you fall asleep. Reena’s journey with her father will break your heart and make you want to call your own.
(4) Sawyer. He’s that boy. That one that you look at and you know that you will never be able to get over, but also the one you should never get under. He’s the guy with the mysterious issues, but the one that can make you feel safe. You want to love him, you want to hate him, but most of all you just want to understand him. And when you do – when you finally understand him – you probably don’t.But you understand one thing – Reena is his lobster.
(5) The Before and The After. The author makes it so easy to understand that you fall into it and you stay there. You don’t stray from the pages – whether you are living in the before or the after.
‘How to love is a must read. It will take you in from the very first page and not let you go even in the after.
About the author:
Katie Cotugno went to Catholic school for thirteen years which makes her, as an adult, both extremely superstitious and prone to crushes on boys wearing blazers. She routinely finds herself talking about the romantic endeavors of characters on TV shows as if they actually exist in the world.
Katie is a Pushcart Prize nominee whose work has appeared in The Broadkill Review, The Apalachee Review, and Argestes, as well as on Nerve.com. Her first novel, HOW TO LOVE, is due out from Balzer + Bray on October 1st, 2013.
The great loves of Katie’s life include child’s pose, her little sister, and mozzarella and honey sandwiches. She lives in Boston (and in sin) with her boyfriend, Tom.