Last week’s episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, “Will Scarsdale Like Josh’s Shayna Punim?”, successfully and quite directly served to shine a spotlight on exactly why Rebecca Bunch and Josh Chan getting back together is literally the worst thing that could happen on Rebecca’s road to recovery.
In case you were unclear on why, we’re gonna highlight just a few of the reasons:
- As Heather pointed out, their relationship is not based in reality. They are completely delusional and don’t have any realistic expectations for their relationship, and it can only lead to terrible, awful, vomit inducing things.
- Their relationship is horribly unhealthy. Rebecca relies far too heavily on Josh as the singular source of her happiness, which is what can make that sort of obsessive, all-consuming love, dangerous. What will happen to Rebecca when this doesn’t work out – when the one person she counted on to make her feel whole is gone? She’ll crumble, and it’s going to be terrible to witness.
- Josh literally has no idea how relationships work. At all. That’s it. He’s a child in a man’s body who has no idea how adults in love behave or what it means to be in a real, committed relationship.
- Josh is both literally and metaphorically standing between Rebecca and her recovery. She was right in the middle of having a breakthrough when Josh interrupted her session (who barges into a therapist’s office?!) to propose to her! After they’ve only been together for, like…a week!
- It’s ruining her friendship with Valencia! After all this talk about how important it was to forget about Josh, how Valencia was better off without Josh – it all just has to look and feel so hollow to Valencia now that her friend has gotten back together with the man she so persistently pushed Valencia away from. Not to mention the fact that all of this comes after Rebecca has already gone out of her way to sabotage Valencia before over Josh. This must look horrible to her! We must protect Valencia at all costs!
We’re not the only ones who see how terrifyingly toxic this situation is. Literally every single character and true friend of Rebecca’s told her how awful her relationship with Josh was and emphasized what a terrible idea it was to get back together.
And now look what happened!
Literally nothing good can come of this and I hate it so much.
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend airs Fridays, 10/9c on the CW.