Picking TV quotes is both hard and easy. This year, for example, was filled with so many funny, touching, wise quotes from our favorite TV shows, which is good, of course, but makes narrowing this list almost impossible.
Here are our favorites quotes of 2017, the ones that made us feel things, the ones that taught us a lesson, one way or another. Let’s see if you agree!
15. The Ray: You know I can’t say no when you look at me like that.
Leo- X: That is why I look at you like that. -DC’s Legends of Tomorrow
The Arrowverse crossover was not to our liking this year (see Nazis suck), but if there was one thing that we loved coming out of it was the relationship between The Ray and Earth-X’s version of Leonard Snart. Can we keep them forever?
14. “I didn’t know if you were number 1, number 2 or number 3. You had a nickname I didn’t know from a life I had nothing to do with. Who was I to insert myself into your life against your mother’s wishes?…who was I?” – William, This is Us
We still can’t believe that our William, Randall’s father is gone. But the flashbacks made up for it this past second season of This Is Us. Having William explain his fears of fatherhood to Randall in a flashback brought so many feelings. He’s gone, but his spirit is still alive within the show, and in Randall. He understood that the only way for Randall to live a full, happy life, was to let him go. But he’d gotten him back….only to lose him again in death. Long live William and his deep quotes!
13. “Live. Live. Live.” – Annalise Keating, How to Get Away with Murder
This whole scene had us shook, watching Annalise give Laurel’s baby boy CPR with just two fingers! We prayed and hoped that this little baby boy would get the chance to breathe and live a good life. Annalise’s life flashed before our eyes of her first child’s death, which made that quote even more heartbreaking.
12. “You’re tough. But you’re a girl.”
“Maybe I’m tough because I’m a girl.” – Jaz, The Brave
The Brave has surprised us and become one of our favorite shows, and scenes like this one are the reason why. Jaz is a badass, but in this case, she’s being a role model and giving a girl someone to look up to, and maybe, and ideal to hold onto when things get hard. That’s huge.
11. “I don’t think I can live without you.” – Alec to Magnus, Shadowhunters
Alec Lightwood and Magnus Bane have been through the wringer a couple times in this past second season. But we all know that love is love, and love conquers all. Malec have shown that their love can withstand anything, even Valentine!
10. Mariana: “She wants a promposal.” Brandon: “Like a flash mob?” Mariana: “Definitely not a flash mob.” Stef: “I’m so glad I’m not in high school.” – The Fosters
This whole season five summer finale of The Fosters had been the best yet, but this quote regarding Brandon’s girlfriend Grace wanting a promposal was too funny! Stef and her eye-rolling ways are the best!
9. “It’s Phone Book Week. I don’t know why we still have these things. But then again, how would anyone ever find their local Radio Shack or Blockbuster?” – Dina, The Mayor
ABC’s The Mayor has been the hot, new comedy to drop the streets, and I feel like every episode is quotable! The quick lines, comedic timing and delivery keeps bringing us back for more each week. Let’s hope that there is a season two in 2018 because this show is both hilarious and important for black culture.
8. Wyatt: I am meant to protect the two of you. I see that now, and I will.
Lucy: You realize you sound like a crazy person?
Wyatt: I sound like you.
Lucy: Exactly. – Timeless
Probably the best thing about Timeless was that it managed, for the first time in what feels like forever, to give us a real OT3 made out of more than an OTP and a hanger on. Lucy, Wyatt and Rufus are family first, and whatever may come (will come) between Lucy and Wyatt takes nothing away from the man that’s their family. Gotta love it!
7. “How do you know it’s not just a lizard?” – Steve
“How do I know…? Because his face opened up and he ate my cat!” – Dustin, Stranger Things
This year’s season two of Stranger Things was so funny, inspiring, angst-filled and came back with such power and character development. Most of the hilarity stems from Dustin and Steve’s newfound closeness, which is something they both needed.
6. Chloe: I don’t want Trixie getting scared seeing my like this. Do I look okay?
Lucifer: You look heaven sent. – Lucifer
Ah, the romance of Lucifer and Chloe, or shall we say the failed romance? And yet, how can it be a failed romance if he still looks at her like she hung the moon, if she still cares about what he has to say? How can it be failed when there’s clearly so much love still there? Now, if only someone could explain how humans work to Lucifer, maybe we’d get somewhere.
5. Oliver: I know when I took William in, we agreed that we’d keep our distance because he was going to have a lot to process.
Felicity: He still has a lot to process!
Oliver: He does and every day there’s a new challenge.
Felicity: I sense a but coming, there’s a but coming right?
Oliver: But then I saw you with him and I became 100% sure that, if you want, his life will better with you in it. Just like mine. – Arrow
Look, Season 5 of Arrow was akin to the dark days, not just because there was no Olicity (reason enough), but because to keep those two apart the show had us do unbelievable mental gymnastics. But sense came back with season 6, and Oliver and Felicity got back together in the third episode. May they never be parted again. The show just doesn’t work with them apart, not anymore.
4. “You know when you work with black folks, they get too comfortable. They want to compare potato salad. They get all up in your business, trying to add you on Facebook, inviting you to church. It’s like, ‘Damn, Therese! Quit trying to baptize me at work!’” – Kelly, Insecure
Insecure may be a little mature for our audiences, but for the most part, the show has shown so many relatable moments in regards to blackness. However, there are a lot of funny moments, like when Issa’s friend Molly was convincing their friend the differences between working with white and black people. Very realistic and hysterical!
3. Claire: “How do you know what I’m like now? I could be a horrible person for all you know.”
Jamie: “Suppose you might be, at that. But d’ye know, Sassenach, I dinna think I care.” – Outlander
We love how much Jamie Fraser calls his wife, the love of his life, Claire Sassenach. But it’s even more brilliant and touching in season 3 because it surrounded around their separate lives, and then their amazing reunion. There were a lot of ups and downs, destiny had tested them so many times, but they always find their way back. Season 4 will be even more epic, knowing our couple is back together forever.
2. “I finished my book. It’s a story about my seestras. I call it Orphan Black.” – Helena, Orphan Black
As if the final episode of BBC America’ Orphan Black didn’t make us cry, that quote on Helena’s memoir did. The seestras’ arguing about the title was just as confusing as the fans might have been about the show’s title. But as confusing as it is, the title ties in everything about this show that we knew and loved throughout the past five seasons. The definitions of family, new friends, science, technology, power, control, and heart have changed, and it’s all thanks to this awesome show.
1.“The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.” – Sansa Stark, Game of Thrones
Doesn’t it feel like this line just sums up Game of Thrones, not just in its season 7, but in it’s entirety? If the Starks – if anyone – is going to survive what’s coming, they have to stick together. And though we know we shouldn’t really be optimistic, this is Game of Thrones after all, we can’t help but feel a bit vindicated by all the Stark reunions we’ve gotten in the last two years. Maybe we can still get something resembling a happy ending?
What were some of your favorite quotes of 2017? Leave comments below!