Calling all country fans! We had the chance to ask some questions of rising country star April Kry, and if you don’t know her, we have a feeling you will soon.
Kry is an east coast born gem who discovered a love of music when her father encouraged her to pick up a guitar and has been hooked every since. Her love of country started with Martina McBride and John Mayer and her powerhouse voice evokes memories of those 90’s greats, Shania and Faith. Her upcoming single “While We Were Young” is set to release on 3/24 and we highly recommend you take the time to listen (Hint: I LOVED IT & I’m not even someone who goes straight to country for her music tastes)
Please take a look below for my interview and soak in the love of country! (Lord knows I started to after listening to her song)
1. I read on your bio (your website is gorgeous by the way) that you grew up with music and first picked up a guitar when you were thirteen. What was it about the guitar that you loved in particular when you started playing?
Thank you so much! Yes, I initially started out on the piano but then soon realized the guitar was my instrument. I always loved the sound of acoustic guitars in songs. When I first moved to Nashville I found a little guitar shop here and I fell in love with a guitar by Bedell guitars. I picked it up and haven’t put it down since.
2. Your bio also related that it was a gift of a Martina McBride LP from your mother led her to becoming one of your biggest inspirations. That her country music was all about storytelling. What kind of stories are you hoping to tell with your music?
Absolutely. I remember listening to her song “This Ones For the Girls” and feeling so inspired. I want to put out music that’s empowering, and can make you feel something. The great thing about music is that it can meet you wherever you are. If you’re sad- there’s a song for that. Excited?! There’s a song for that too. I want to capture moments and emotions in life and translate them into song.
3. What drives or helps you concentrate when you sit down to write a song?
I have to be excited, or really into the subject we are writing about. I want to put out music that I can genuinely relate to because I want it to be real.
4. When I first listened to your song I was struck by how powerful your voice was. I haven’t heard anything close to that kind of singing in a long time. With that in mind, was there anything or any artist specifically that inspired “While We Were Young?”
That is such a sweet comment. Thank you! Well, I wanted to channel a young Faith Hill, keep it fun and modern but still put my stamp on it. Stephanie Bentley is actually a co-writer on this one. (“Breathe” Faith Hill, “Concrete Angel” Martina McBride) I have a very different voice than Faith so I think it kind of took a life of its one once I put my vocals down. It talks about young love in the verses, but then talks about living life to the fullest and not taking anything for granted in the choruses, which I think is so important.
5. What do you enjoy the most in your experience between song writing, playing your guitar and just being a musical artist?
Honestly I love it all. I’m very thankful to be able to call this my job. I just hope I can touch people as much as music has touched me.
6. If you could recommend your top three songs to turn someone onto country music what songs would those be?
Wow that’s a good question! “I Hope You Dance” LeAnn Womack, “A Broken Wing” Martina McBride and “The House That Built Me” Miranda Lambert.
7. Have you found anything new to enjoy or experience since joining the music industry that surprised you or just didn’t anticipate?
I didn’t realize how “business-minded” you had to be in order to succeed in this industry. I’ve enjoyed educating myself (mostly through trial and error haha) but nonetheless, gaining knowledge about this business and applying it to my craft and career.
8. What’s been your most memorable experience or just stuck with you so far in your mind?
I got to meet Martina at the ACMs a couple years ago. She said she heard my cover of her song and was just so sweet! It was a moment I’ll never forget.
9. Is there a particular artist you especially nerd or fangirl over?
Definitely John Mayer. I know pretty much all of his music. He’s so talented it’s ridiculous.
10. If you could give one piece of advice to your younger self about going into this business what would it be?
Take everyone’s opinion with a grain of salt, and trust your gut.
April Kry’s upcoming single “While We Were Young” is set to release on March 24th.