After Book Club is back. Today we’re reviewing Chapters 21-40.
Now, we have to say that these are some of our favorite chapters. Tessa and Hardin at the creek, him finally letting down his guard, her letting him go. The roller coaster that you go on. It’s oh so much! Here’s the breakdown of Chapters 21-40. Join us on twitter for the conversation at 8am PST.
See Chapters 1-20 here.
Be sure to enter the contest.’
- Tessa has breakfast with her mother and Noah. She tries a public display of affection with Noah and he is taken aback.
- Noah promises to not tell her Mom on her again.
- "Noah, could you please stop telling my mother when I do things? It makes me really uncomfortable. I love that you are close to her but I feel like a child when you basically tell on me." - Tessa.
- The weekend has passed and Tessa meets up with Landon. They discuss their weekend.
- In class, Hardin notices that Tessa has cut her hair. Tessa is wondering if he will bring up the kiss.
- Landon tells Tessa that his Mom is dating Hardins Dad. He then proceeds to tell a little bit about Hardin.
- Tessa goes back to class and thinks about dating Noah. She falls asleep and takes a nap.
- When she wakes up, Hardin is knocking on the door.
- Hardin and her exchange barbs. They find themselves making out again.
- Steph appears and Hardin backs away and leaves.
- Tessa tells Steph about what is going on with her and Hardin.
- "Are you OCD or something?" - Hardin to Tessa.
- "Not everyone's crazy because they just like things a certain way. There's nothing wrong with being organized." - Tessa
- "If I could only feel one thing for the rest of my life, this would be it."
- "Fuck." -Hardin.
- "You're so sexy Tess." - Hardin
- "I thought you guys hated each other. Well, Hardin hates everyone. But I thought he hated you even more than his normal hatred for people." - Steph
- "I don't want to be another conquest of his." - Tessa
- "You could learn a lot from Hardin... you know sexually." - Steph
- The next day in class there is a discussion in class on Pride and Prejudice.
- Hardin and Tessa get into a heated discussion in front of the class.
- Tessa gets embaressed and runs out of the room. Hardin follows. He and Tess get into another arguement. He realizes that he brings out the worst in her.
- Hardin calls her bullshit and tells her that she wants him. The sexual tension can be cut with a knife.
- They agree to be friends.
- They agree to hang out as friends.
- "Women want what they can't have." - Hardin.
- "I don't know what kind of guys you normally go for, but I think that if he loved her, he wouldn't have been mean to her." - Hardin
- "She did not throw herself at him! He manipulated her into thinking her was kind and took adavantage of her weakness." -Tessa
- "What do you want, Hardin? To tell me how desperate I am? To laugh at me for letting you get to me again? I am so sick of this game with you - I won't play it any longer." - Tessa
- "I really do bring out the worst in you, don't I?" - Hardin
- "It must be exhausting." he says.
What? "What must be exhausting?"
"Acting like you don't want me, when we both know you do."
- "I can tell that you've never been touched... really touched." - Hardin
- "You have no idea how good I can make you feel." - Hardin
- "It's strange to crave and hate someone at the same time."
- "I am not meaner to you than I am to the rest of the general population." - Hardin
- "I don't want to stay a way from you." - Hardin
- "I'm not bitchy; you're just obnoxious." - Tessa
- "Well, we'll only sacrifice a few cats, burn down a few buildings..." - Hardin
- The next day in class Hardin asks if she's ready for their date in front of Landon
- Landon warns her to be careful
- Tessa accidentally tells that she knows about Hardin and Landon practically being brothers. Hardin then decides to cancel their date.
- Tessa returns to her room, where Zed, Tristan and Steph are.
- Hardin shows up and tells everyone that him and Tessa have plans.
- Tessa leaves the room with him. They got to the car and Tessa doesn't want to get in until he admits that he didn't come to see her.
- Hardin tells her he doesn't think Zed has the best of intentions.
- They debate music on the drive.
- "I don't expect to become best friends with him, but I need us to get to a place where we don't scream at each other every time we talk."
- "I'm just not sure Hardin deserves your kindness." - Landon
- "I just don't think Zed has the best intentions." - Hardin.
- "I would love to know your opinion on what good music is." - Hardin
- "See something you like back there?" - Hardin
- Hardin takes her to the middle of nowhere. They walk to get to a river.
- Hardin strips down and tells her they are going skinny dipping. She doesn't want to.
- Hardin says that if she comes in the water, he'll answer one of her questions.
- She gets in, curiousity getting the best of her.
- She asks Hardin her question. He gets mad when she asks about his parents.
- They are playing in the water and once again, the sexual tension can be cut with a knife.
- He tells her they can't just be friends.
- They have some non-intercourse sexual healing.
- They leave and Tessa thinks she has been used. She feels awkward as she has never been that intimate ever.
- "Don't worry, I didn't bring you out here to kill you." - Hardin
- "You're telling me you're the kind of girl who doesn't wear underwear?" - Hardin
- "This is one beyond-boring friendship so far..." - Hardin
- "Wear my shirt." - Hardin
- "We can't just be friends, you know that, don't you?" - Hardin
- "I need you to say it, baby, out loud so I know you really want me to." - Hardin
- "Don't ever cover up, not for me." - Hardin
- "I'm not going to have sex with you." - Hardin
- "I can't believe no one has fucked you before." - Hardin
- "What? Was... that?" - Tessa
- "Of course I'm not using you. To use someone I would have to be getting something out of it." - Hardin
- "He makes me laugh and cry, yell and scream, but most of all he makes me feel alive."
- Hardin and Tessa are going to eat.
- Hardin offers to help her get an internship at Vance publishing.
- They drive back to the dorms after eating. Tessa and Hardin kiss goodbye.
- Tessa says that she has to tell Noah, and Hardin tells her not to break up with Noah.
- "You're not trying to tell me you're going to break up with him... for me, are you?" - Hardin
- "You're disgusting." -Tessa
- The next day Hardin and Tessa are in class and Tessa tells him not to talk to her.
- They ignore each other for the week.
- Tessa decides to call Noah and ask him to come and visit. He agrees to.
- Tessa walks into class and Hardin and Landon are fighting.
- Later Noah arrives. They are in Tessa's dorm room when Hardin walks in to meet Steph.
- " Do not speak to me, Hardin." - Tessa
- "That's a nice cardigan you're wearing." - Hardin
"Thanks, it's from the Gap."- Noah
- Noah leaves Tessa's room - he's staying at a hotel. He doesn't feel he can stay the night.
- The next day and her go to the park and hang out.
- At night, Landon calls and asks Tessa to come over. Hardin is drunk and smashing things.
- Tessa leaves Noah in her room while she goes to rescue Hardin.
- "Hardin is nothing even close to friendly." - Tessa
- Tessa goes to Landons. Hardin is out of control and in the back yard.
- Tessa finds of Hardins father and Landon's mother are getting married.
- Hardin gets upset that she is there.
- She wants to help him. She's trying to comfort him.
- Hardin starts to insult her and she goes to help Landon.
- Tessa cuts herself, Hardin walks in and freaks out.
- "He was calling out for you." - Landon
- "If you want to help me, then leave." - Hardin
- "You are so pathetic. Don't you see that I don't want you here? I don't want you to be here for me. Just because I messed around with you doesn't mean I want anything to do with you. Yet here you are, leaving your nice boyfriend - who can actually stand to be around you - to come here and try to 'help'me. That, Theresa, is the definition of pathetic." - Hardin
- Hardin takes Tessa outside and talks to her. He apologizes for being "difficult to deal with."
- They argue and she turns her back on him. He tells her not to turn her back on him.
- They kiss.
- They fight more, Tessa saying that she can't be his punching bag anymore.
- "You're so damned difficult to deal with." - Hardin
- "You don't want to be forced to be around someone as pathetic as me?" - Tessa
- "Well, you shouldn't drink at all. It makes you an even worse person than usual." - Tessa
- "Don't go." - Hardin.
- "I should have turned my back on you a long time ago." - Tessa
- "Please, just kiss me. I need you." - Hardin
- "You hate me, and I don't want to be your punching bag anymore. You confuse me. One minute you're telling me how much you can't stand me or humiliating me after my most intimate experience." - Tessa
- "I don't like who I am when I'm with you, and I hate the way I feel after you say terrible things to me." - Tessa
- "You... you make me want to be good, for you... I want to be good for you, Tess." - Hardin
- Hardin admits the affect that Tessa is having on him.
- Tessa lets him know that she will not be his plaything anymore.
- They continue to fight and Hardin asks her to stay the night.
- She insists that she has to go back to Noah, so he can get back to his hotel.
- She feels weak, and decides to stay.
- "You make me feel... something unfamilair. I don't know how to handle these type of feelings, Tessa." - Hardin
- "Even though I've not really had a lot of restraint lately, I do have self-respect. I will not be your plaything, especially when it involves being treated like dirt." - Tessa
- "I don't hate you." - Hardin
- "If you can look me in the eyes and tell me that you want me to leave you alone and never speak to you again, I will listen. I swear, from this point on I will never come near you again. Just say the words." - Hardin
- "You can't resist me, Tessa, just as I can't resist you." - Hardin
- "Please, please stay. Just stay with me tonight, and if you decide in the morning to tell me you don't want to see me anymore... just please stay." - Hardin
- "Is he straight?" - Hardin
- "If you were mine, I wouldn't be able to stay away from you." - Tessa
- Tessa and Hardin are in his room.
- He says he's never slept in the room until tonight.
- He takes off his clothes to go to bed. Tessa says she'll stay dressed.
- Hardin offers her his shirt to sleep in
- Tessa says that she doesn't mind sleeping in the same bed.
- Hardin realizes she's never slept in a bed with a boy before.
- Hardin tells Tessa that she should dress for her body.
- Tessa is hot. She undresses and as she's in her bra and panties, he pulls her back into the bed.
- "I assume you won't want to sleep in your underwear. But of course, I am perfectly fine with it if you do." - Hardin
- "Now that's the Tessa I love." - Hardin
- "You've never slept in a bed with a guy before, have you?" - Hardin.
- "I've never really had to resist anyone." - Tessa
- "That's either a lie or you went to an all blind high school." - Hardin
- "I won't turn around. I want to see you." - Hardin
- Hardin pulls Tessa onto his lap.
- Tessa is nervous. She doesn't know what to do.
- She gives him a handie - he helps her.
- He wants to know what she's thinking, but after he changes his boxers.
- "Do you want me to show you what to do?" - Hardin.
- "Fuck Tessa, don't do that. No, no, not that. Keep doing that - I mean don't look at me that way." - Hardin
- Hardoin goes to change his boxers.
- Tessa keeps thinking about how she's betraying Noah.
- Hardin asks what she's thinking. Tessa finally admits that she is thinking of all the girls that he's been with before.
- He offers to tell her about them, but she doesn't want to hear about it.
- He offers to return the favor - with his mouth.
- She's embarassed having to say it and decides to go to bed.
- " I think I actually like drunk Hardin better." - Tessa
- "I didn't want you to stop." - Tessa
- "Kiss me ... there." - Tessa
- "You're embarassing me on purpose." - Tessa
- "I'm not meaning to embarass you. I just want to hear you say what you want from me." - Hardin
- Tessa wakes up in the morning and wants to sneak out before Hardin walks up.
- Tessa runs into Landon downstairs. She doesn't know what to say, but he doesn't judge her.
- She returns to her dorms where Noah is waiting. He's pissed.
- She tells him half the truth.
- Noah tells her that she's changing and he doesn't like it.
- Hardin shows up.
- "I know you don't like Hardin, and it means a lot to me that you would come here to help get him in control." - Landon
- "He wasn't being violent; he was just drunk. He wouldn't hurt me." - Tessa
- "They aren't bad people; you don't know them. When did you become so judgemental?" - Tessa
- Hardin shows up and is pissed she snuck out.
- Hardin tells her to tell Noah or she will.
- She is forced to tell him that her and Hardin have been fooling around.
- Noah is pissed and walks out on her.
- Hardin says if she follows he is done. But she's got a good point - done with what.
- She chases Noah and he tells her he needs time.
- "Tell him; go on and tell him." - Hardin
- "Noah, I am so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking." - Tessa
- "If you go after him, I am done." he says and my mouth falls open.
"Done? Done with what? Fucking with my emotions? I hate you! You can't end something that never began."
- Hardin is waiting for her when she returns. He says he's not going to apologize.
- Tessa tells him to leave.
- Hardin says Noah needed to know, that if he was Noah, he would want to know.
- Tessa tells him to leave again.
- Hardin tries to tell her that he feels something for her.
- Tessa accidentally admits she has feeling for him.
- Steph arrives and Tessa asks him to leave.
- Steph tells him to stay away from Tessa. He says fine, but if she comes around him again, he will ruin her.
- "Why, Hardin? Why did he need to know? How could hurting him possibly be a good thing? You weren't affected one bit by him not knowing - you could have gone on with your day without telling him." - Tessa
- "You are a cruel and disgusting jerk who doesn't give a shit about anyone but yourself." - Tessa
- "I know you're lying, and this is your sick way of getting off." - Hardin
- "Are you saying that you... you have feelings for me?" - Hardin
- "Let's go, Boy Wonder." - Steph
- Steph tries to comfort Tessa.
- Tessa tells Steph that she didn't know it had gotten that bad.
- Monday morning, Tessa meets up with Landon, and sees that he has a black eye. Hardin and him got into a fight.
- Landon tells her that his girlfriend is coming into town for the bonfire.
- Hardin doesn't show up for class and Landon says he was changing around his classes.
- Friday, Steph invites her out. She says no, but eventually gives in.
- Steph offers to make her over, and Tessa agrees.
- "Listen, Hardin is a good guy. Sometimes. I mean; deep down he just doesn't know how to really care for someone the way that you - well, most girls - need to be cared for. " - Steph
- Steph has made Tess over.
- They go out to dinner and Hardin shows up, with Molly and Zed.
- Everyone is commenting how goregous she looks.
- Hardin won't stop staring at her.
- She's flirting with Zed to make Hardin jealous.
- Tessa says she's going to the bonfire with Landon. Everyone makes fun of her.
- Tessa's food comes and it's wrong. Hardin tells them it's wrong and to get her a new one.
- Tessa says she's not going to the party, Hardin offers to take her back to the dorm.
- She reluctantly goes with Hardin - and he makes she that no one else goes with them.
- "Landon Gibson and cool do not belong in the same sentence." - Molly.
- "I gotta give him some credit for that black eye he gave Hardin." - Zed
- Hardin asks why she has a new look. He thinks its over the top.
- Tessa tells him that if he doesn't like it - to not look at her.
- He wants to know why she didn't tell them about Landon.
- He tells her the problem is that he can't.
- Hardin drops her off and and she lies and tells him Noah is coming. He leaves.
- Tessa calls Noah and he forgives her. They exchange I love you's.
- " Don't get so defensive; all I am saying is your little makeover is a little extreme." - Hardin
- "If you don't like the way I'm dressed, then don't look at me." - Tessa
- "That is precisely the problem here, isn't it? That I can't stop looking at you." - Hardin