I’m just going to say what we were all thinking tonight during “All Hands on Decker” and yell “Thank the Lord!!!” I’ve been honest about my criticisms about this show as of late, and it’s led to multiple rants during my reviews, but I’m really happy to say tonight’s episode was a hell of a time and I can’t wait to see what happens next. That last part I’m *really* excited about.
This week’s case was investigated by our number one brotp Dan and Lucifer, which necessitated a wardrobe change on the Devil’s part for a walk in Chloe’s shoes as they dove into the world of show dog competitions. Somehow only the last part of that sentence was actually terrifying.
To get straight to the point, for an episode that had Chloe and Lucifer separated for most of it, they ended up closer to figuring out their hearts than ever before. Without further ado why don’t we dive into tonight’s riveting hour?
Return of the Epic Brotp
No offense to anyone else, but yes I am referring to the hilarious team up of Lucifer and Dan tonight. Chloe taking time off leaves Lucifer working the murder of the week with Daniel, and I did not realize how much I missed these two together till tonight. Can we have more of them next season please?
Lucifer’s plan to understand why Chloe said yes to Pierce’s proposal (shudder) is to inhabit her world, as literal as he can get to it. Between the wardrobe change, paying attention to the case details, and encouraging Dan to be “him” I don’t think it could have gotten any more hilarious. Dan could have put his foot down, but impatience aside I’d be lying if I thought Dan wasn’t having some fun acting the Devil’s part in his and Chloe’s unorthodox partnership.
I doubt Dan expected it, but Lucifer’s influence brought out some much needed questions for him as did walking a mile in our favorite Detective’s shoes for Lucifer. Let’s face it, you know a friendship is real when there’s at least one genuine hug, and both of them calling each other out on not saying what’s on their minds to the women they care about.
Dan was avoiding saying what he wanted to Charlotte as much as Lucifer was using every ridiculous plan in the book to not ask Chloe why she agreed to marry Pierce. So you better believe I was fist pumping when after everything Dan manned up and walked over to Charlotte’s place and laid it all out there. Despite how scary it was for him, to see Charlotte just embrace it without question was incredible.
Regarding my favorite Devil in a suit, as strange as it was to see Lucifer out of his suits, his journey was mirrored by Chloe’s quest for an answer on a party bus of all places. For the Devil though, taking up the mantle of responsibility to Dan’s reckless choice to surprise the killer (who was jealous of a pregnant dog…only this show I swear) opened up the answer he’d been searching for. Dan’s comment of not seeing the irony only added to Lucifer finally getting what, let’s face it, many of us in the audience have understood Chloe has been searching for some time now. Luckily, she has her own realization regarding her life in the midst of one of the weirdest bachelorette parties I’ve ever seen.
A Bachelorette Party You’ll Never Forget
Yes I’m being ironic on purpose here, because of all the alcohol involved, but man was that a hell of a sequel to ladies night! Chloe’s bachelorette was a night of epic proportions which started with my favorite Detective overwhelmed by the whirlwind her life had become. Clearly the best way to tackle it was taking a few days off to plan her wedding that didn’t involve a murder board.
Ella, who has the biggest heart I’ve ever seen on television, supports her friend – no sister, and convinces her into letting Ella throw an amazing bachelorette party. Only she would be able to help the boys solve a crime while ordering a penis pinata over the phone, and how in the world did you get that on air Lucifer writers?
Hilariously inappropriate jokes thrown in, it was awesome to see Chloe get all this attention from all her lady friends this time round – Ella, Linda, Charlotte and sort of Maze who was busy scheming to use this as a way to get back to hell.
Do I wish it wasn’t part of a scheme? God yes, but it didn’t take away from the joy of seeing Chloe let loose on that bus and get some much needed fun and perspective. Charlotte acting on Amenadiel’s request brilliantly turned Maze’s boring pink fest into an true party just made it better, though her attempts to break up her and Pierce was as obvious as the number of hot men who flooded the bus.
As fate would have it, Chloe didn’t need any of her friend’s help to figure out what was going on in her heart. As angry as I’ve been about the lies around her, the fact is Chloe is still smarter than most. Which is why the first quiet conversation of the night from a wise bus driver, opened up the rambling to what she’s known all along.
No matter how steady, responsible and safe she may feel about Pierce, underneath love is something that can’t be denied anymore than Dan and Lucifer could avoid facing it. I saluted her for having the bravery to tell Pierce the truth without sugarcoating it, but still as gently as she could manage it the second she figured it out.
I won’t pretend there won’t be a lot of consequences for this, but for the first time in a long time I saw Lucifer and Chloe fall back in step with the knowledge to deal with whatever comes their way. I just wish it wasn’t going to come at them so fast in the form of a truly pissed off former Immortal.
Where Will It Lead?
With two episodes to go, this season has been a ride where more than once I’ve gotten sick of the twists that verge on soap opera level, and yet somehow always recovers itself in time to put the biggest smile on my face.
It’s taken a long time to get here, Lucifans, but we are here and I’m putting my faith in optimism that Chloe and Lucifer are close as they’ve ever been at sharing what we’ve all known to be true. Conversely, I firmly believe there is such a thing as too many episodes in a season, as I think that’s what hurt the overall story the most, I do believe it’s about to be worth all the angst we’ve dealt with.
Whether it’s Maze in regards to Linda, Trixie and Chloe or Chloe and Lucifer and Cain’s issue with everyone now, the stage is set for the final act. So bring it Lucifer writers I’m ready to see this culminate in a way only you can deliver, and I have no doubt you will.
How about you Lucifans? Are you ready?
- There wasn’t a soul missing tonight, and as much as I was missing Trixie, it was worth it to see Dan and Lucifer’s friendship back to the forefront. I can never get enough of this unexpected friendship that I never would have seen coming in the Pilot nearly three seasons ago. Bravo to the best brotp!
- Amenadiel and Charlotte please keep up this partnership it’s been really nice having more people in on the Angel/Devil/God secret.
- Maze is still painful to watch on screen pretending she still gives a damn about Chloe or anything but getting back to Hell. Pierce, the sly bastard, knows her true weak spot when he used Trixie as a human shield. First don’t ever do that again, and in spite of everything Maze still refuses to do anything to risk Trixie. I get the feeling if it’s not her that brings Maze out of her one way thinking of revenge, it’ll be Linda who took about five seconds to figure out Maze was up to something.
- Lucifer suit’s are a staple but if he wants to change up his wardrobe to be more like Chloe’s I would not mind as he pulled off those sunglasses and jacket like no other.
- Deckerstar may have only had two scenes where they were actually speaking to each other, but that didn’t stop me dying of feels more than once. Between how everyone around Lucifer is just calling him out on NOT telling Chloe his feelings and Chloe refusing to let the idea of being safe, and with a steady keep her in an engagement with a man she doesn’t love I was high on life.
- So for the love Dad if there was ever a time for Lucifer to say what he feels it would be the aptly titled “Quintessential Deckerstar” airing next week.
- IS IT MONDAY YET?!
Lucifer airs Mondays at 8/7c on Fox.