I always find when I take a trip that I have to donate a day, or at least a few hours, to the fine art of souveniring. Every place I visit, I like to bring at least one thing back with me to remember the amazing time I had. For me, and maybe you, I started in on the idea of getting the same item from each place. That way these items can together paint a picture of my wanderlust.
At first it was shot glasses. (Not surprisingly, I pretty much collected these when I was in my 20s). Then it was full-size glasses, like these beauties you see above. Then I moved on to magnets. But at some point, I wanted my collections to be a bit more creative, while still being uniform. So here are a few ideas – some I do, some I’ve just seen.
- A Rock. That’s right. A rock. This was in a movie, and I can’t remember which one, but that’s where I got the idea. For every big/significant moment in the main character’s life in this movie (this is going to bug me! Does anyone know what movie I’m talking about! Please let me know if you do!) Anyway, for every big moment he picked up a rock. Then every time he looked at the rock he remembered that moment. The good thing about collecting rocks – it’s free! But if you have a bad memory, you may end up with a pile of rocks and no recollection of whence they came.
- One second video. I have to be honest, I saw the idea in my Girls Love Travel Facebook group. In every location, the person shot about one second of video with his GoPro. Then he put them all together. I also had a friend who did this, just in his life. He took a month and recorded one second of video every day. Then at the end he had a cool video a few minutes long showing everything he’d accomplished that month. If you are a tech savvy type, this is a really cool idea.
- Coasters. I like this idea because coasters can go the range. It can be from the free beer advert coaster you get at the bar to a nice, glass coaster set. And they are useful, too!
- Playlist. When I was in college, I made a different mix every time I had to drive from school back home. (The trip was about 7 hours, one way.) Later on, I continued with it. I made playlists for girls weekend road trips and family road trips. To this day, I can pick up my “Key West 2012” playlist and remember what a fun time I had on that trip. I made all my mixes before, but you could make them after, too, using songs that kept playing during the trip, songs you kept singing, songs that remind you of certain parts of the trip, and so on.
- Jewelry, accessory, or article of clothing. This is one I do. I like it, because whenever I wear that particular scarf, I remember being in Paris. Or the necklace that reminds me of the street vendor in the Bahamas. And it’s fun because when people compliment you on it, you can be all, “Thanks! I got it in Iceland!”
So those are just 5 of my suggestions. What are some of yours? What do you do, or what have you seen, or what would you like to do? Let us know in the comments.