Here at Fangirlish, we love a little bit of everything. We love our TV and movies, but we also love our books. We read a lot, and we think our favorite characters do too. And that’s why we’re taking the time to profile the characters that make us laugh, cry and gasp by pairing them with the books that have us in a puddle of feels. The best of both worlds.
Quinn King is the ruler of the Everlasting fairy forest on UnREAL. She got strong opinions, a maniacal laugh that can match Ursula, and no problem grabbing her crotch in glee when the scenarios she’s set up, come alive before her very eyes. She’s a woman after my own heart!
So, here are my best guesses as to what Quinn King would be reading during her downtime:
- Snapshots of Dangerous Women by Peter J. Cohen. Quinn is an unconventional women with an array of tastes that firmly put her in the BAMF category. And sometimes she likes a little inspiration after a long day on set. This book is full of vintage candid snapshots of rebellious women drinking, fighting, playing sports, smoking, and shooting arrows or guns. It’s enough to encourage a women like her to reach for the stars (or Chet’s balls.)
- Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference by Cordelia Fine. This book takes a look at the “hardwired” differences between male and female brains. Using neuroscience, it unravels the claims that our brains are hardwired to offer empathy or even fix cars based on whether we’re male or female. Take that, everyone who thinks Quinn’s behaviours are crass and she needs to settle because that’s what women do. She can do what she wants, when she wants.
- Six Girls without Pants by Paisley Rekdal. Sometimes a girl just needs to sit back with a glass of wine, in a bathtub full of bubbles, with a good book in hand. Why not poetry? This collection of poems covers sexual identity, the limits of desire, and the tension that arising when body and representation battle it out. Quinn would appreciate the creativity and serious thought put into this book.
- Something Scandalous (Zebra Historical Romance) by Christie Kelley. To know what would sell to women, Quinn had to have done some research before stepping onto Everlasting. Historical romances where the man has his shirt ripped open, is always the way to go, when you need solid data! With these romances she’ll know what makes women quiver, swoon, and beg for more. She promised Gary ratings and she will give it to him! (Even when he’s handing over penis cars to trust fund babies that like to watch others do the hard work.)
- One with You by Silvia Day. In the name of research, Quinn would also want know who the best sellers of the day were. Knowing who becomes a bestseller overnight will help her pick her contestants and shape the kind of show she’s selling to viewers all over the world. And so what if she enjoys reading them a little? No one needs to know. And if they do, she wouldn’t be bothered anyway. This is Quinn King after all!
Agree? Disagree? Have any other books you think our resident puppet-master would be reading? Join us on Goodreads as we discuss this exact thing. And, of course, check out our profile and be sure to let us know what character you want to see profiled next!
UnREAL airs Mondays @ 10/9c on Lifetime.