Legends of Tomorrow 6×10 “Bad Blood” highlights a universal truth of all life, no matter if you are a hero or not. Addiction can bring out the worst in everybody. In ‘Bad Blood,” John’s addiction to magic ends up showcasing a very bad side of John Constantine.
The saddest part of this is that before it happened, we got a Constantine- Spooner team-up that was exceeding our expectations. Thanks to Crowley and a vampire, John gets a lead on where the Fountain of Imperium is at: 1939 Spain. While there, they getting into a bit of a trouble with a Colonel working for that Adolf Hitler that kills a local legend of the community named El Gato.
When Spooner tries to convince John to help her save this kid and his village from the evil military forces and he won’t, she asks him why it’s so damn important he gets his magic back. Constantine’s response highlights that and why it’s relatable to a lot of us too.
” You know where I’m from, being normal is being crushed by the boot of capitalism. It’s being told only degenerates can fancy men and women. It’s your old man coming home to beat on you because his old man did it to him. But magic, Spooner, the ability to break through to stick it to the rich and powerful. That’s who I am. ”
That may be who John Constantine is, but he’s also a addict. So when the fountain is dried up and his chance at magic fails, he’s still stuck trying to get that hit. He finds it in form of a potion that Crowley’s vampire friend gives to him. It lets him take down the colonel’s forces but also Spooner sees what the magic potion does to him. However, that still not the worst thing that Constantine does in Legends of Tomorrow 6×10 “Bad Blood.”
After they arrive home, Spooner catches John sniffing the potion bottle like that alcoholic trying to suck every last drop out of the bottle. Here, John commits the ultimate sin – betraying a teammate. He hypnotizes Spooner into forgetting about the bottle and to lie to the Legends. Then he receives more potion bottles from the vampire in exchange for Crowley.
The John Constantine we see at the end of Legends of Tomorrow 6×10 “Bad Blood” is one that is in full thralls of addiction. Someone who messes with a teammate, a friend’s mind. That’s something you can’t just sweep under the rug, John. Those things come back to haunt you. And now John is being haunted by his addiction to magic. And like most addictions, not only will this end up hurting him, but very well the rest of the Legends.
- The B-Story of “Bad Blood” deals with Mick’s news that he’s pregnant with 48 alien eggs and Gus-Gus growing up. Both stories end up being resolved quickly. Gus gets big and giant and put into some wooded area. (Good luck to the first thing that runs into it!).
- As for Mick, a few classic bonding moments with Lita convinces him to embrace being a parent-to-be.
- Not nearly enough scenes with Zari 1.0 in “Bad Blood” for our liking.
- We caught that little touch of flirting between Behrad and Astra. Can’t hide those looks, Astra.
- “She definitely has new girl on the ship vibes”
- Sara and Ava only show up at the end of “Bad Blood” so no AvaLance this week. BOOOOOOOOOO
Legends of Tomorrow airs on the CW at 8 pm on Sunday Nights.