NCIS: Los Angeles 14×06 “Glory of the Sea” is a pretty fun episode that does very little to advance the show’s underlying stories in any way, but that provides enough entertainment that it doesn’t truly matter. Not every episode will — or can, in the case of a show like this one — be about more than the case. Not every episode can be about deep emotional journeys for the characters, either. Sometimes the episode just has to be about ..well, pure entertainment.
And if the episode is going to be about that, well, a treasure hunt is a good way to do it. Especially one that the team actually solves!
There are little hints, of course. Fatima and Kensi’s entire bit about Kensi not being the “fun parent” is pretty on-character, and also kinda hilarious when one considers that you only need to have watched 2 episodes of this show to realize that Kensi was never gonna be the fun parent, no matter what she did. It’s also good to see Kensi interacting with people other than Deeks — even if I always miss him when he’s gone — because it helps the team dynamics to deepen the relationships outside of the usual partnerships.
But NCIS: Los Angeles 14×06 “Glory of the Sea” because the show’s original partnership still works as well as it did fourteen years ago, and the banter is still on point. Sam and Callen are funny, yes, and they are also actual good friends, because, through the banter, they’re still calling each other out on their BS, and pushing each other to be better.
Now, if Callen could just confident his reasons for not getting married yet on Sam, we could actually move on to the finding-Hetty storyline that this show has put off for way too long. I’m getting old here, and so is Linda Hunt. We’re way overdue now.
But overall, despite what this episode isn’t, this is a fun hour of television. It’s rare to have a show be able to rely on the same characters for so long, and the fact that the characters we have still work as well as they do, and that the ones that have come in mesh well, is a testament to the writing on this show — and to a casting department that has always been able to find the right pieces to complement what the show does. As long as the cast stays, this show has legs.
The journey has, after all, been pretty fun. And that’s really what matters. They know it, and so do we.
Things I think I think:
- More of Fatima and Kensi, please.
- Also, Deeks will have thoughts about your list whenever you mention it to him, Kensi. That’s just the way he is.
- I feel very much like Kensi about 97% of the time, but Fatima is right in this one.
- LOOK IF I HAD TO GUESS WHO THE FUN PARENT IS, it wouldn’t be Kensi. But that’s not a bad thing.
- The only thing more hilarious than Kensi’s whole fun parent thing is the Sam and Callen convo about suits. G, you heathen.
- A treasure hunt!
- Every episode should have a librarian to help solve the case.
- “I solve crimes, not riddles.” You kinda do both, Sam.
- I swear, if these guys waited till they were closer to scream Federal Agents, cases would be solved much quicker.
- “Whatever you want, honey” are actually pretty good magic words.
- DEEKS ALREADY BOOKED THE FLIGHTS.
- “Not the treasure, but the journey to it.”
- You ain’t subtle, show.
- Callen’s shocked face at the treasure is priceless.
Agree? Disagree? What did you think of NCIS: Los Angeles 14×06 “Glory of the Sea”? Share with us in the comments below!
NCIS: Los Angeles airs Sundays at 10/9c on CBS.