Legends of Tomorrow 6×01 “Ground Control to Sara Lance” shakes the status quo for the Legends as they try to deal with one of their own being kidnapped by aliens. Yes, that sentence would sound ridiculous for any show. Any show but Legends of Tomorrow. Instead, it showcases how much love and concern the team has for one another. So let’s talk about the biggest moments of the Season 6 premiere and how there’s so many that David Bowie is barely a blip.
“Only person who could make this kind of mess is Sara. Which means that she’s alive.”
So the big storyline of season 6 will deal with aliens in the timeline thanks to Sara’s efforts to escape from her alien kidnappers. Finding out Gary was one of those kidnappers and hence a alien during his entire time with the Legends? Disappointing. Yes, it does feel like a effort to keep Gary involved with the team in one way or another. However, that’s not even the most interesting part of Sara’s tale.
WE’RE GETTING A AVALANCE WEDDING! EVENTUALLY. “Ground Control to Sara Lance” highlights how much Sara and Ava know and care about each other so much. From the Super 8 video Bowie gives the Legends that shows the big ring that Sara plans to propose to Ava with all the way to Sara explaining to Gary how much pain Ava must be going through — these are the moments fans put on a fan-made video to a Billie Ellish or Taylor Swift song. Though that’s not even the biggest Avalance moment of “Ground Control to Sara Lance”
That belongs to Ava telling Sara that she accepts her proposal and promises to marry her when she gets back to earth. That’s the kind of love that gives Sara the power to fight back from the aliens control and head to a wormhole to earth. Now will she get back to earth so soon? If watching any piece of fiction for the last 30 years has taught me, the answer is probably no. The best love stories always have to have some obstacles in their way to their happily ever after. Trust us though when we say, Ava and Sara will get that happily ever after.
As for the other Legends :
- John and Zari. The latest couple aboard the Waverider is still trying to figure out their footing. Zari thinks they’re “no strings attached” but after she prevents John from killing himself trying to find Sara, feels like there’s a lot of strings on this relationship. Hopefully these two love-struck fools can figure it out before something serious gets in the way.
- Nate. Maturity is the keyword of the season it feels like for Nathaniel. One of the best parts to us of “Ground Control to Sara Lance” was watching Nate be a good friend/lieutenant to Ava in her search for Sara. It struck the right combinations of a perfect brother-sister dynamic. The one where you can crack jokes on each other but also be a shoulder to talk to whenever they need it. Also enjoyed Nate’s quick talk with Bowie about how much he misses the version of Zari he fell in love with. We miss her too.
- Astra. Not really much here except she doesn’t want to be a part of the team. And she’s good at poker. At least we got to see her connect with Zari for a moment or two. It’s a long season though so hopefully she’ll get more to do in the future.
- And finally we have a new member of the team…well a future member of the Legends in the form of Esperanza “Spooner” Cruz. First impressions of Spooner gives up the impression of not much honestly. Yes, she’s a alien-obsessed wacko at first glance but it feels like there’s much more that meets the eye with her. After all, someone who is able to put a hole in the Waverider is someone worth learning more about. Also her and Behrad have a bit of a connection slowly building up.
- Mick. Mick is still Mick thankfully.
Beneath the enormous levels of silliness and humor , Legends of Tomorrow at its core is a show about finding family among a group of outcasts. So what happens when the momma bear of the group is missing? Does the family break apart or grow even closer together trying to find her? If “Ground Control to Sara Lance” is any indication, it will definitely be the latter.
- Aliens getting thrown into the timeline. Making a bigger mess to get out of one = Old-School Legends 101.
- Ava having a list of steps to get the team away from her so she could focus on finding Sara was brilliant.
- Gary being a alien does explain why he’s annoying all the time.
- Quote of the episode belongs to Astra and Zari while watching John Constantine walk away.
“What a ass.”
“Yeah he does have that going for him.”
- Seems the aliens have been kidnapping famous people from different time periods as Sara finds Spartacus in one of the pods she escapes out of. Being a pompous ass is unable to prevent Spartacus from being eaten by one of the aliens. That kind of image haunts your mind for a bit of time.
- Mark our words : John’s alcohol problem is going to be a big problem for the Legends and perhaps his relationship with Zari.
Legends of Tomorrow airs on the CW at 8 pm eastern on Sunday Nights.