NCIS: Hawaiʻi 2×09 “Desperate Measures” is an episode about Carla Chase, and how this team reacts when one of their own is in danger. Ironically, before this hour, it would have been hard to consider Commander Chase a real part of the team, but after this episode, there’s no doubt she doesn’t just belong, she’s an asset to the team and the show.
But the episode is also about addiction, and about the stigma surrounding it. Jane Tennant and her team follow Chase’s example of grace, and because of that, they not only solve their case, but the DEA’s case too. And though real life is anything but this kind to people suffering from addiction, it’s great to see a CBS primetime procedural leading by example in the correct way of dealing with addiction.
The way the entire team comes together to save Chase — and how Chase, in the end, could have saved herself but chose to help someone, is the perfect bookend to the first half of NCIS: Hawaiʻi‘s second season. If the first season was about setup, the second season is about playing with the dynamics and establishing new ones that can carry this show forward. And Carla and Ernie’s dynamic feels like a good place to build on.
And we haven’t even talked about Tennant and Commander Chase.
Jane Tennat, in general, was a bright spot in an episode that allowed her to lead in a different way than she sometimes gets to. But there’s nothing about the Jane Tennant that we get this hour that’s surprising. We already know this is who she is. And as much as she can and does kick ass, NCIS: Hawaiʻi never forgets the human side of the boss, and also never forgets that the framing for tha thumanity doesn’t need to be centered on the fact that she’s a woman.
This isn’t “women are empathetic and that’s their strenght” this is “Jane Tennant is a badass in many different ways.” And that includdes her compassion. Same goes for Commander Chase. And though, yes, this was a tough day in the office, at the end of the day, they didn’t just solve the case, they helped smeone that maybe wouldn’t have gotten the help he needed if he’d been left in the hands of another team. A win all around.
Things I think I think:
- Not Chase!
- Ernie and Carla is kinda cute.
- My love for Jesse and Kai knows no bounds. Together? Even better.
- Kai checking on Tennant — and Ernie.
- I really like Chase, and this episode is a showcase of why.
- When Jane Tennat does the eyebrow thing, you’re done for.
- “Why not, I’m fun” is what a guy who isn’t fun says.
- Kate, you should have just brought the sandwich.
- Have I told you all how much I love Jane Tennant?
- And this team?
- But I really do miss Lucy and I’m glad we’re getting her back next episode, even if next episode is in like a month.
- I’ll take it though, cause CROSSOVER.
- Wish list? Lucy and Kensi. Jesse and Deeks. Tennant and …everyone. But maybe Sam.
Agree? Disagree? What did you think of NCIS: Hawaiʻi 2×09 “Desperate Measures”? Share with us in the comments below!
NCIS: Hawaiʻi airs Mondays at 10/9c on CBS.