Outlander 5×03 “Free Will” picks up the pace from a slow “Between Two Fires,” if not plot wise, at least emotionally. It helps, of course, that Jamie and Claire are together again, and that the episode isn’t happening on two fronts, but the thing that makes this episode shine is the same thing that has made most episodes of Outlander shine throughout the course of the show: Jamie and Claire’s partnership.
This isn’t just a romance, though it is one, first and foremost. This is a tale about two people who found in each other the perfect partner to walk through life with, to start a family with, and that partnership is as strong in season 5 as it was in season 1. In fact, it’s still the reason we’re watching.
So allow me to give you some hints about what’s coming in Outlander 5×03 “Free Will”:
- Marsali and Claire have taken a very long journey towards this closeness, towards Marsali trusting Claire’s words, being willing to learn from her, but as the connection deepens, I couldn’t be happier that we’re here, that we get to experience these two together.
- Similarly, I’m very greedy about my Jamie and Fergus time. Give me all of it. Even the little glances, the little reminders of what Fergus means to Jamie make my heart soar, and this episode fed me well.
- Jamie and Claire share a couple of truly heartfelt scenes in this episode, scenes that do a great job of underscoring their partnership.
- Roger is almost passable in this episode, again. Three in a row. Will wonders never cease?
- Similarly, there’s a moment between Roger and Brianna in this episode that almost made me ship them. Almost.
- This episode is more than a bit heavy handed on the setup, and I anticipate we’ll all be looking back on it when the end of the season grows near.
- Roger as Captain is still the funniest thing in this show, and though now we’re all laughing, I get the sense it’s going to be way less funny very soon.
- This episode explores what’s more important, keeping the ones you love safe or being by their side?
- It, of course, does so just as that same question presents itself to Roger and Brianna, and in a way, to Jamie and Claire. Can they let Brianna go? Should they?
Are you excited about Outlander 5×03 “Free Will”? What are you looking forward to the most? Share with us in the comments below!