Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist doesn’t shy away from difficult subjects, such as Mitch’s terminal progressive disease in the first season and Zoey’s self-destructive decline into grief in the second. Still, the sixth episode of the season, “Zoey’s Extraordinary Reckoning” is a stand-out in its honest – and uncomfortable – look at racism within the tech industry at large and SPRQ Point in particular.
While the series still very much makes Zoey the star in her own story, the sixth episode allows Simon and Tobin to step more into the spotlight than the season has to-date. Their experience is vastly different from the experiences of the rest of the coders. Including Zoey. It’s a side of both characters we don’t usually get to see – and painful in its reflection of the struggles and burdens too many people are still forced to bear in the real world today.
Here are some teases for Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist 2×06 “Zoey’s Extraordinary Reckoning”:
- Zoey’s grief takes a back seat in the plot this week, but that doesn’t necessarily make the episode emotionally easier.
- Friendship sometimes means calling people out. It also means accepting said call-outs when they’re entirely well-deserved.
- I am proud of Simon. You’ll be proud of Simon. Everyone should be proud of Simon. And, you know, give him the support he needs and deserves.
- Could anyone in their right mind refuse Mo? Could you?
- Good intentions aren’t enough. Sometimes they cause more problems than they solve.
- If you struggle with second-hand embarrassment, you might want to brace yourself for a bit of a rough ride.
- Do we want to punch Danny Michael Davis or hug him? It’s really hard to say sometimes. Is it possible to do both at the same time?
- Someone is thirsting after Max. Hard. But he doesn’t mind being objectified on occasion.
- Where is Zoey’s rock bottom? Is this Zoey’s rock bottom?
- A line gets crossed with Mo, and Mo has absolutely no problem drawing boundaries. They will not be crossed again.
- I love all the actors on this show, but if John Clarence Stewart doesn’t get some kind of award for this episode alone, he’s been robbed. Actually, strike that. All the awards. He should be given all the awards.
- Tobin likes cheese, apparently. I don’t know that it’s much of a tease. But, seriously, someone needs to talk to this man about healthy eating habits.
- Someone sings who doesn’t normally get to sing. Someone else sings twice.
- Tobin asks some tough questions this week, and you know what? Every one of them is valid. Every. Single. One.
- Mo and Simon together are everything. More of this, please.
- Are Tatiana and Simon dating on the down-low and the series just hasn’t addressed that yet?
- Tobin will always be Tobin, but his fears and experiences are valid. Even if he has an occasionally terrible defense mechanism.
- Is Max inspired to change trajectories – at least a little?
- “I have to constantly amputate parts of who I am” is the line of the episode.
Are you excited for Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist 2×06 “Zoey’s Extraordinary Reckoning”? Share with us in the comments below!