Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist 2×13 “Zoey’s Extraordinary Goodbye” is the best kind of season finale in that yes, I really want that season 3, and yes, the show left enough hanging to not just justify it, but make you want it, but there’s also a tremendous level of respect for the notion that, to end a season, you need some closure. Not total closure, but there at least needs to feel like some things are coming full circle.
In this case, I feel the thing coming full circle might actually be …Zoey. Not her relationships, but Zoey, as a person. And since this show is called Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, that feels like the best thing we can ask for. Personally, I still don’t love the mid-part of this season, and some of the writing choices that led to this moment in her journey. But I will say that Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist 2×13 “Zoey’s Extraordinary Goodbye” does its best to at least give context to the season. Whether that works for you or not might depend on your expectations going in, and of course, your personal preferences, but the show doesn’t leave anything on deck. Not one damn thing.
Here are some teases for Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist 2×13 “Zoey’s Extraordinary Goodbye”:
- I’m still not over the ending.
- And I don’t even mean that in a omg the ending left me too emotional for words way. No, I mean it in the this was literally me watching: 🤯🤯🤯
- There’s at least one too-emotional-for-words-moment in this hour, though. And some piece of advice that I feel like I needed a reminder of.
- Of all the many reasons to want a season 3, I will say I really love what it could mean for Leif. Leif is a character that has truly grown on me, and Michael Thomas Grant always brings a level of nuance to him that just makes you want to dig deeper.
- Also, this episode features my favorite Mackenzie ever.
- John Clarence Stewart gets a song that, honestly, only he could have pulled off.
- Literal chills.
- This time around they got me emotional with words, not just with songs. For a show that’s mostly about songs, that’s a win.
- “Zoey’s Extraordinary Goodbye” features a conversation that’s peak emotional maturity. I had to watch it like four or five times before I could even proceed.
- Have I mentioned Mo is my favorite? I’m sure I have.
- This episode has some of my favorite Mo/Zoey moments of all time.
- Except for Emily. Maybe they’re tied. Emily is pretty awesome too.
- “We can hug?”/ “Yeah”
- The trailer promised Zoey makes a decision, and she makes a few important ones this hour, but the most pivotal one isn’t between two men. It’s about herself.
- I love me some callbacks to things that are just the right amount of obscure. You know, the type only the writers and obsessive fans get? Those callbacks.
- My appreciation of where this leaves the main players going forward? No one’s leaving this show. No one should.
Agree? Disagree? What did you think of Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist 2×13 “Zoey’s Extraordinary Goodbye”? Share with us in the comments below!
Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist is available to stream on Peacock.