It’s been one year since the season two finale of Roswell, New Mexico. When you think about it, it is actually quite fitting considering the first episode of season three “Hands” takes place one year after all of the craziness that occurred in episode 2×13: “Mr. Jones.”
Me and Mr. Jones
Remember that alien door that was opened at the end of the season two finale? Well, right off the bat we’re finding out more about Jones, the alien who was behind that door. Max, Isobel, and Michael were stunned, just like the rest of us especially considering the fact that Jones looks exactly like Max. Jones informs the three that Max’s mom knew him very well and he’s surprised to learn that they didn’t know about him. Naturally Max has a lot of questions, the most important one being why he and Jones look so much alike.
Jones puts his hand on Max’s heart (because for some reason, everyone wants to constantly go after Max’s heart) to show him who he is. During this, something pretty big is revealed; Max learns he is the clone and Jones is actually “the savior.”
Life Goes On
We fast forward to a year later, with Roswell, New Mexico episode 3×01 wanting to focus more on what everyone is currently up to. I mean, obviously we all want to know more about Jones but, we gotta check in on everyone else right? There are a lot of characters in this show, so they need to set up their stories to prepare us for what’s to come.
Max, well… Max is not doing well at all. He can’t get Liz off his mind no matter how hard he tries. He’s consuming more and more acetone because he’s clearly in a lot of trouble with his health. Isobel and Michael just think he’s acting weird to forget about Liz but, it’s something more. Max is dying. Yup, he’s dying… again. Max’s body is rejecting Noah’s heart which was transplanted into him by Kyle. He’s been hiding this secret from Isobel and Michael because he doesn’t want them to put their lives on hold for him like they did the last time. We all knew there was a chance that the transplant might not take but, we just didn’t expect it to be revealed in the first episode.
Our girl Liz is off in Los Angeles working for Genoryx and keeping herself busy with her patent to keep her mind off Max. Her coworker Heath is clearly showing interest in her but, she wants to keep things platonic, until Kyle pops in for a quick visit and gives her some encouragement. He sort of gives her the push she needs by telling her that *clutches chest* Max isn’t coming for her, so she needs to move on. Our Echo hearts broke hearing that because we refuse to believe there is no hope for Echo to reunite. With the arrival of Jones, and Max dying, we think eventually that will lead to Liz returning to Roswell and we can’t wait.
Maria is still struggling with her debilitating visions and it’s only getting worse. Because she refuses to wear her protective bracelet that suppresses them, her brain scans are continuing to change, which is concerning to Kyle. In episode 3×01 of Roswell, New Mexico, Maria has not one, but two visions. The first vision she has, reveals a coffin and she is sitting next to a crying Isobel during someone’s funeral. Kyle assumes it’s Max because he knows that he’s dying.
Later in the episode, Maria is randomly attacked by some dudes dressed up with alien heads on. The attack induces a second vision in which it’s revealed Max is actually alive and we hear Alex saying that they are covering up another murder just like they did with Noah. We definitely have questions now. Just who has been murdered?
Michael is just sort of floating around now that he’s single. He doesn’t have a girlfriend or a boyfriend anymore, and as he put it, he’s more broken than he’s ever been. He goes to see Alex when he returns but, sadly he has moved on and is happy with his new love Forrest who greets him as he gets off the bus. Did our Malex hearts break? Yup they sure did. We have no idea what the future holds for Michael, but we really hope he and Alex reconcile.
Alex as we said, has returned home. He looks refreshed and happy. The happiness is a little short-lived when Forrest has to burst their love bubble by bringing up the secret paramilitary group Deep Sky. He reveals to Alex that not only is he part of the group but, they want to recruit Alex as well. Forrest tells Alex that if he were to join Deep Sky, he would have access to a level even he can’t get to. After revealing all of this, Forrest is leaving for his book tour and invites Alex to come with him and leave everything behind. Alex doesn’t go with him which wasn’t a surprise at all because we know he wants to uncover the mysteries that Deep Sky holds. We also know that he’s probably still not over Michael either.
Rosa seems like she’s doing well. She’s been working on therapy for her bipolar disorder and trying out different kinds to find the one that will actually help her. Art therapy is what she chooses but, it’s not as therapeutic as it should have been. While she’s at one of the sessions, Wyatt Long shows up. If you’re not familiar with him, Wyatt’s sister Kate was killed in the accident that was thought to be caused by Rosa. He was previously locked up for trying to kill Liz.
When Wyatt sees Rosa, she attempts to say that she’s Rosas’s cousin Rosalinda. He’s not buying it for a second and later shows up at her family’s restaurant and attempts to kill her. To protect herself, Rosa stabs him with a syringe filled with butryicol, which is a memory eraser. We have no idea what the repercussions of that will be but, we’re pretty sure it’s not going to be good.
There’s no ‘You’ to study
Michael and Isobel know something is off with Max and they can’t figure out exactly what it is. He finally reveals that he’s dying and as expected they are both pretty pissed off. He’s known for an entire year that he wasn’t doing well but has been hiding it and that’s just something they cannot take. Isobel and Michael thought they all had a bond that was stronger, and that Max could tell them anything. Max doesn’t want them to waste time trying to save him, but we know that’s not how Michael and Isobel roll. They will always find a way no matter what it takes.
Isobel goes to see Kyle because he’s one of the people that can provide the help they need. Kyle tells her he doesn’t know what else he can do because he doesn’t have another one of them that he can just study. A light bulb goes off and Isobel realizes they can pull Jones out and use him to try and save Max. We’re not too sure what this will bring or how Max will react to Michael and Isobel’s plan. Jones is supposed to be “the savior” so this might be the type of saving he’s supposed to do.
- Max writing letters to everyone like he’s saying goodbye. Yeah, no, we’re not okay with this.
- Heath is cute, we’ll give him that but, it’s Echo forever and always.
- Isobel is still hooking up with the bartender she met the night she and Kyle hung out? Yes please.
- Gregory Manes and Maria together? This would not be a bad dating scenario.
- Kyle is the best friend we all need.
- “Do things that make you feel alive.” – Kyle to Liz.
- The first thing Alex saw when he got off the bus was a statue of his dad. Welcome home?
- I don’t know if I want Maria to put that bracelet on or not. On the one hand, I hate what the visions are doing to her, but on the other, we need to know who is going to be hurt.
- Kyle chasing Max down in an ambulance because he missed his appointments was pretty badass.
- Liz, girl, we love you and your crusades to do things for the greater good but, you are not in Roswell. There are other people’s jobs at stake when you do things like leak a patent.
- Wyatt Long is a bigoted piece of trash.
- “You know, it was the craziest thing. My girlfriend dumped me. I’m more broken than I’ve ever been. Alex took off. There was a global pandemic, and yet, I was happy. Because this, because us three, we were good. And I was wrong.” – Michael to Max and Isobel
- “I need to get a social circle that can’t unlock doors with their minds.” – Kyle to Isobel
- Max listening to the tape of Liz saying “can you feel me holding your hand?” yup, we’re still crying and so are you.
- Liz and Max both had rando hookups at the end of the episode, yeah just rip our Echo hearts right out of our chests.
- Okay, Maria’s attack, again, I say what the fuck was that? And who was in those masks?
- “Howdy partner.” – Jones to Michael and Isobel.