Legends of Tomorrow 7×05 “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist” brings a return and a new face to the Legends’ story this season. Zari 1.0’s return to the team and the introduction of Dr. Gwynn Davies adds some new sprinkles into the Legends’s quest to get back to time traveling without messing up the future anymore. However, the Legends wouldn’t be the Legends without making a huge mess of things trying to avoid making a huge mess.
So where to begin on all the calamities that befall the Legends in “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist”? Let’s count all the ways:
- Messing with Davies’s time machine gets Ava wiped from existence for a little bit. (No worries, she comes back.)
- Zari messing with the Hoover bot ends up blowing it up and causing Thomas Edison to have a heart attack. Then that leads to a new Hoover bot and a Edison bot taking over their roles.
- Sara accidentally gets Davies stuck in a mental asylum and has to rescue him out of there.
- Astra, Spooner and Gideon have all sorts of trouble getting to NY including kidnapping and lots and lots of walking.
- And finally, Davies’s time machine doesn’t take them to 2021 Tahiti as they hope but instead a jungle in the middle of nowhere.
On second thought, this just sounds like a typical Legends of Tomorrow episode.
NEW KID ON THE BLOCK
So what to make of Dr. Gwynn Davies? First impressions make him seem skittish, a little rude and also a bit eccentric. Sounds like perfect Legends material. So why does his character feel off right now? Is it a case of another character in an already way too crowded lineup?
Perhaps he’ll grow on us more as the season progresses. One episode is not enough to judge and the scenes with Sara were very good. We grew to love all the new faces on Legends of Tomorrow so maybe we’ll grow to love this familiar face in the new future.
One of my favorite parts of “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist” were the moments with Zari 1.0 and Nate. Zari and Nate just work as a couple. There’s probably no logical reason why but they do. They respect each other and care about each other’s thoughts and feelings. And never is there any unnecessary drama.
When Zari told Nate that she didn’t want to move into the manor but instead asked if Nate would move into the totem with her, Nate reacted as any normal person would instead of what some tv shows would have done aka has the dude yell at the lady and makes an ass of himself.
Instead, Nate lovingly asked her for some time to decide. No pressure to try to get her to change her mind. He respected her decision and she respected his feelings on the choice to make. The best relationships are built on love and respect. Zari and Nate have that thankfully.
(Nate’s totally going to agree to go live in totem. 100% sure.)
So thanks to Astra’s spell causing a blackout and some quick running by Gideon, the Legends avoided their fate and were able to successfully time-travel with Davies with them. Thankfully the team is reunited together but now they are stuck in a jungle with no clue of how to get to where they want to go. Oh, and they have a rogue Waverider with the ability to have any robot replace any person in history if they die. Like we said before, typical Legends of Tomorrow.
- Spooner is a NASCAR fan? Wonder who her favorite driver is?
- Feel bad that Behrad doesn’t really have much to do this season. Though I did enjoy the little flirt moment he had with Astra.
- Ava took being wiped from the timeline way better than I would have.
- “Did something happen between you and Gary? Because I’m okay with that.” Zari being cool with a Nate/Gary hook-up is very refreshing.
- Much like Ava, we will never get use to Sara basically being indestructible now.
- Nice gag where the team thought Davies looked familiar but not to Constantine.
Legends of Tomorrow airs Wednesdays at 8/7c on The CW.