They say all good things must come to an end, but for that to apply to the New Amsterdam series finale, it would’ve needed to happen at least 14 episodes sooner. Because this is not, at this point, a good thing that’s ending. This is a thing that was previously good that is now an unrecognizable version of itself, a thing we’ve tried and tried to tune back into and give another chance for old times’ sake…only to find new ways to be disappointed and, frankly, just plain mad.
With the Tuesday, January 17, series finale comes two different opportunities to hurt — and hurt they do. Not because it’s sad to see this series go…but because it just keeps sending a message, whether intentionally or not, that is a problematic one at best. And let’s not even begin to describe what that message is at its worst. While we’re at it, don’t expect anything to change for the series finale. There’s an attempt, that almost makes it worse when nothing really changes. So, this is the end. At this point, it’s not even bittersweet. It’s just plain bitter.
But, one more time for the road, we’ve got a few teases for you. Or, maybe, we’ve basically just got some warnings.
Stray New Amsterdam series finale thoughts
- I can’t believe this show is ending like this.
- Lizzie: I CAN now. But before? Nah.
- So, it’s not at the level of doing that for each other…but still perfect? Sure, Jan!
- Lizzie: When you can’t even convince yourself of a thing, it’s hard to convince viewers. But then again, maybe they weren’t even trying.
- You can’t reference that far superior series like this now. All those years I said this was the best medical drama since that one…no references. Now, a reference? I think not…and if you think this person really aspired to be that one…also no! And that ending is a cheap ripoff of the Rachel thing. May as well have told someone “you set the tone” while we’re at it. FFS.
- Lizzie: If someone had told me New Amsterdam was canceled when they were filming 5×12 and 5×13 was their attempt to make things right, then perhaps what I watched would make some sense. As it is, I’m not actually sure how these two episodes even go together.
- Of the two episodes, New Amsterdam 5×13 is still the better part of this series finale — and the actual, literal one — but maaaaan, I’d care a lot more if every single character hadn’t already been ruined for me by now.
- Lizzie: Nothing about the finale is truly a surprise; if I’d given it some thought I could have predicted the beats of this episode. There’s just one part of it that doesn’t fit.
- That child is not old enough to get that ~moral story~ out of remembering this day forever and, most likely, would not even remember this day forever. Be real.
- Lizzie: For endings to work, they have to respect the journey. Happy endings are about a payoff, not hitting specific notes.
- I really can not.
- Lizzie: Even the silver lining feels like too little, too late.