So, we watched New Amsterdam 5×01, even though we swore we were done. It’s not that we lied. But we just couldn’t stay away because, at the end of the day, we spent four seasons invested in this show and these characters. And…yeah…that was a waste.
When an actor leaves a show — for whatever reason — there are many options for how to write them off. If, after watching the series’ fourth season finale, you had a very bad feeling about what New Amsterdam would do with the character of Dr. Helen Sharpe, we can assure you, it’s even worse seeing it actually happen. For a show that has always been about hope, and doing the right thing, and highlighting the human experience as something kinda beautiful even for all its flaws, this season premiere…fails at that. Big time. Fails at a lot, really.
To be fair to the actors who are still around (except, of course, You Know Who), there are some good moments. But they’re good in the sense of…”Wow, here’s a really sweet message about found family coming together to be supportive to someone who’s experienced a great loss.” And that only works up until the point where the very same hour of television is like, “LULZ, we’re also gonna have some stuff that spits all over the ‘great loss’ in question.”
So, that’s cool. If by “cool,” we mean exactly the opposite.
We’d say we’d never seen a television show go to such great lengths to assassinate a character and smear her history, but honestly? Infuriatingly — and sadly — enough, we have. Without actually giving away the plot of New Amsterdam 5×01, let’s just say actually letting Helen Sharpe die last season would have, in a number of ways, been better. We’ll always remember the take-no-prisoners, brilliant, top-of-her-field Dr. Sharpe we met on day one. And our hearts go out to any young women — especially young Black women — who felt seen and/or inspired by her. To everyone who saw this character break down her walls, find “more joy” in love, and even embrace her role as Luna’s “Mum,” we’re truly sorry for what’s to come.
Truly sorry, outraged, and just…in shock at how we got here. Even if the pattern with TV and strong women — again, especially strong Black women — is…exactly this.
In other words, if you were wondering whether or not to watch New Amsterdam 5×01, the answer is pretty easy: If you want your memories to remain fond, don’t bother. But if you love seeing Iggy Frome suddenly back to bff and hero, even after all he’s done…Well. Mazel tov on ruining it for everyone else in the process, but you’ve got what you wanted.
It’s really “not that kind of show” anymore.
Other thoughts on New Amsterdam 5×01 “TBD”
- We have no idea what happened behind the scenes to cause Freema Agyeman’s exit. But boy does “TBD” make some theories look like fact.
- Lizzie: I hate it here. And by here I mean watching this show that I used to love.
- If there’s backlash against this one actress for what they seem to be trying to set up, Imma fight y’all. I’m devastated, too, but it’s not her fault. Leave her alone!
- Lizzie: Bad writing is never on the actors. Repeat with me, bad writing is never on the actors.
- A “good friend” does not give that advice, but ok.
- Lizzie: No one’s actually being a good friend this episode. No one. Being a good friend isn’t telling the other person what they want to hear, it’s not letting them make mistakes without pointing them out, and it’s definitely not pushing them when they’re not ready.
- Luna. Justice for Luna.
- Lizzie: Justice for continuity too.
- This is actually an episode of television that happened, huh?
- Lizzie: I wish I could erase it from my mind.
- …aaaaaaaand no happiness for them either. Typical.
- Lizzie: Look, “not that kind of show” applies to everyone.
- Unbelievable, actually. Just. Unbelievable.
- Lizzie: But is it?
- Lizzie: I actually just want to cry.
- Twitter should be interesting on premiere night.
New Amsterdam season 5 premieres Tuesday, September 20 on NBC.
No one had a problem when his wife was used as a incubator then fridgeded….but now that the ship you liked was mess up, all the box will be checked to pretend that you care more than just your ship not having a happy end.
This may be the stupidest article I have ever read. The people who wrote this article seem like the same people who do blogs, go to a restaurant to blog a review and think they should get a free meal. If they don’t they write a SHIT column.