Hello there! We like a little bit of everything here in Fangirlish, and since we’re also covering sports now, we’ll be doing a sort of recap at the end of the week of the notable sports stories of the past seven days. Starting with ….
- The Copa America Centenario, the continent’s most important soccer tournament will play it’s final game tonight, as Argentina meets Chile in a repeat of last year’s final. Colombia won third play, after beating the US 1-0 on Saturday night.
- The EuroCup, Europe’s biggest soccer tournament is in it’s round of 16, with Poland, Wales and Portugal having already qualified to the round of 8. Todays game’s are France vs Ireland, Germany vs Slovakia and Hungary vs. Belgium. Tomorrow will see Spain face Italy and Englad meet Iceland.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers dug themselves out of a 3-1 hole to defeat the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors, the best regular-season team in NBA history.
- And, with the first pick in the NBA Draft, the 76ers pick …Ben Simmons, forward, LSU.
- The US men’s gymnastics team for the Olympics has been picked: Sam Mikulak, Jake Dalton and John Orozco are going back. So are Alex Naddour and Chris Brooks – except this time they won’t be alternates.
- Rory McIlroy has decided not to compete at this year’s summer Olympics in Rio because of Zika virus fears. He was slated to compete for Ireland.
- The IOC (International Olympic Committee) has supported the stance taken by IAAF with regards to Russia’s ban from international competition. The ban, which was imposed after accusations of state-sponsored doping, won’t be lifted, and Russia’s track and field team will be barred from the Olympics, though athletes can compete independently if they prove they’re clean.
And …that’s pretty much it! Join us next time as we once again recap the most important sports news of the week!