Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s latest jump through time has them in the 1950s and brings back a familiar face from the Agent Carter series. “Alien Commies from the Future!” is a perfect example of the mix that makes Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D what it is: Action and emotional moments with the perfect little sprinkles of humor mixed in.
So instead of asking your thoughts on John Wayne, we’ll start diving into the positives and negatives of “Alien Commies from the Future!”
- Agent Carter was a very underrated series and deserved many more seasons. So imagine our joy at seeing Daniel Sousa in “Alien Commies from the Future!”. Sousa fits in perfectly with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and his interactions with Simmons and Daisy highlights this. Maybe in another universe somewhere, Sousa and Daisy’s chemistry leads to something more.
- Jemma cosplaying as Peggy Carter. The absolute highlight of “Alien Commies from the Future” is Simmons’s imitating Agent Carter all the way down to the similar hairstyle and take no bullshit attitude. (Though Simmons has always had that). The interrogation scene where Jemma and Coulson are trying to figure out which of the S.H.I.E.L.D scientists is a Chronicom was simply fantastic. Truly highlights Elizabeth Henstridge and Clark Gregg’s very underutilized comedic chops. Also just seeing Jemma Simmons having fun for a change is nice.
- Coulson giving a old lady the “Voight-Kampff Test”– What would your answer be?
- Deke standing up to Daisy about not killing Malick. That’s called character growth right there.
- May’s PTSD. Now not for one second am I saying it’s good that May is dealing with this. Not at all. However, showing that these life and death situations take a toll on even the strongest of the team is good. It shows us that even after hundreds of battles through space and time, these are still human beings. Even the strongest of us can also be the most vulnerable.
- Meeting the Chronicoms leader. All we can say is “Damn you Dr. Camille!!” (Let’s see how many fans of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. also are Bones fans)
- I enjoyed the brief diner chats between Mack-Yo-Yo and Coulson-Daisy. There’s always room for these moments in any episode.
- There were very few negatives to “Alien Commies from the Future” as this was the best episode of the season (so far)
- Ending on a cliffhanger. The team stops the Chronicoms but it takes a electric magnetic charge that kills them and knocks out Coulson. Since he’s a LMD, I’m figuring they can just charge him back up. But will this start taking a toll on robot Phil?
- This look for Daisy.
- NO Fitz again. Going to keep banging that drum till our Leo is seen again. Or the season ends. Whichever comes first.
- Marvel Continuance. Okay so at the end of Endgame, we saw that Steve Rogers went back in time to marry Peggy Carter. Which basically wipes out what happened at the end of Agent Carter. So does this mean that Sousa and Peggy never got together? Or they did but then got divorced? This makes my head hurt.
- There’s always a “Jerk Agent” in any show but right now really not in the mood to hear the agent that Mack and Yo-Yo interrogated using slurs on Yo-Yo. Not at this moment.
- Thanks to Coulson, we’ll never hear the word “moist’ the same way again.
- ….That’s pretty much it. Not a whole lot of negatives to say about a fantastic episode.
Look like Daniel Sousa will be with the team for one more mission if next week’s preview is any indication. Also that black and white is beautiful.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D airs Wednesday at 10/9c on ABC.