NCIS: Hawai’i 2×20 “Nightwatch Two” is about openness — how hard it is, and how, ultimately, in most cases, it is the right choice. It just needs to come at the right moment for everyone. The episode focuses on Lucy and Kai as it hammers home the message, and though their stories have nothing to do with each other, the message is exactly the same …we all need people.
Lucy is on the other side, being the person someone can turn to, the one that believes in someone, the one leading with empathy. It’s one of the things that makes Lucy, well, Lucy. And though for about ¾ of NCIS: Hawai’i 2×20 “Nightwatch Two” it seems like Lucy is wrong, like her faith is reckless and unfounded, she turns out to not just be right, but the fact that she trusted ends up being the difference in the case.
As an aside, though, I want to point out that Lucy is a trained agent who is adept at picking up context clues, not just a teenager who wants to believe. Let’s give Lucy some credit here. There’s a level of faith here, but it’s not all just that.
Of course, she also ends up worrying her girlfriend quite a lot – which is kinda cute, which is neither here nor there – but it’s ultimately a nice piece of the puzzle that is Lucy Tara. And honestly, it’s one that fits in with the woman who is a little bit chaotic, who is scared of big dates but still goes out of her way to mark them, and who, more often than not, leads with her heart.
Some caution wouldn’t be a bad idea, on that, Kate and I are on the same page. But you cannot be so cautious that you miss out on connections — which is the life Kai had been living. And sure, things have sort of changed since he got this job, since he found a family with the team. But even so, Kai needs something else. He needs more than his found family in the team can provide. He needs people who have been where he is so he can understand that he isn’t alone with his burdens. The people that love him, they can see that. They want that for him.
Maybe he wasn’t ready before. Perhaps he needed the support to be able to accept he needed help. Sometimes that first step is the hardest one. But that NCIS: Hawai’i 2×20 “Nightwatch Two” gave Kai that moment and that the show has given him the foundation he needs to take that step and hopefully work on himself in a sustainable way, all while knowing that he isn’t alone, not anymore …well, that means, something, for Kai, the fictional character, and for the real people watching and seeing themselves in him.
Things I think I think:
- Is Lucy actually gonna …drink that kale juice? Because I’m not so sure.
- Nothing about what Lucy is saying about being superstitious about real anniversaries makes any sense to me, but she’s still so cute and they are so cute, it’s fine. I don’t care. More Kacy.
- Well, that was a fun call in the middle of the night!
- Kai and Jesse on a guy’s night out!!!
- I kinda just wanted to hug Kai a little …I’m glad he’s found a family with the team, it seems like he’s really missed that.
- Yeah, I don’t get it either, Tennant.
- Ernie can siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.
- Okay, it was a bland date. That tracks.
- I’m just saying knowing Ernie can officiate a wedding better come in handy like, 5 seasons from now.
- “I don’t do that …talk to people” — all good, Kai?
- Lucy leading with empathy was really good to see. But hey, I get Kate, I do.
- “And I drive fast.” Mama Bear Tennant!
- It’s real good to get a moment to see Kai contemplating the group, even if he doesn’t join in. It’s clear he needs it.
- Nah, you’re not mad, Kate, not mad at all.
- Kai, everyone’s telling you that you should go to that for a reason.
- “I turn my head for one minute,” lol.
- Chase and Ernie!!
- Oh, no …reenacting their first meeting. EVEN BETTER.
- Look, I guess every review cannot be about how much I love what this show has done with Kacy and how they have legitimately put in the work to build one of the most stable ships on TV in season 2, but these two deserve all the love thrown their way. All.
- Kai, you went.
- “It’s time I talked to people”
Agree? Disagree? What did you think of NCIS: Hawai’i 2×20 “Nightwatch Two”? Share with us in the comments below!
NCIS: Hawai’i airs Mondays on CBS.