Big Sky 2×03 “You Have To Play Along” was all about people, well… playing along. Jenny is getting used to all that she’s accepted with rejoining the police force, Cassie has to deal with following the rules of what it means to be out of jurisdiction, Stone is still working undercover, and Ronald is learning from Wolf what happens if he doesn’t follow the rules. Though I’m still watching this show, so far, Big Sky season two feels a little like it’s more of what we’ve already seen.
I keep thinking back to all the “oh shit” moments I had watching almost every episode of season one, and I’m waiting for it to happen with season two. Big Sky 2×01 “Wakey Wakey” started off right but since then, I haven’t felt that intensity I did before. It’s like being in a relationship at the beginning stages. Everything is all fun and interesting and then eventually the spark dies out.
Sure, I enjoy the cast of this show especially the women because they are badass but, I’m not seeing the growth I want to see. Jenny is back on the police force and she’s navigating that while obviously wanting to get back out there and join forces with Cassie. That much is true when we watch Tubbs try and tell her she needs to play by the rules of being a police officer. She’s not a PI anymore so she’s gotta you guessed it- “play along.” Let’s face it, Jenny is not cut out for the police force. Sure, she’s a great cop but, her heart is not in that.
Jenny plays by her own rules. For goodness’s sake, she didn’t even want to wear the uniform. She misses working side by side in the trenches with Cassie. She is not used to someone else telling her when and where to go. I have a feeling in the next episode she’ll probably be telling Tubbs she’s out. Could she have made a positive change by staying on the force? Maybe, but if she leaves the force before this season ends, we will never know.
My girl Cassie keeps getting the short end of the stick. She spends a lot of time brooding and stressing. I am begging for her to have some happiness this season because I honestly can’t take this shit anymore. We saw her have some brief moments of happiness in Big Sky season one when she was with Cody. Of course, we know it was very short lived since he got his freaking head blown off in the pilot. All we saw of Cassie having an ounce of happiness was in flashbacks.
I love Cassie so much, but I feel as though her character is being given the bare minimum. She’s doing the typical root for the white girl thing with Jenny by making these cute little jibes at her about Stone. Not only that but, I feel like the writers are just doing this whole “Cassie is tough as nails and doesn’t need anyone” type of role for her. Cassie being tough is important but, it should not be her only story. I want so much more for her. I feel like Big Sky has turned into the Jenny show and it’s not fair.
Cassie is also still dealing with the aftermath of not bringing Ronald down. It’s like everywhere she goes is another reminder of her failure. Like, dude come on she’s trying to work on a new case to save a waitress who has been kidnapped but deputy Harvey thinks it’s cute to throw it in her face that she didn’t stop Ronald. Granted he was trying to save his own ass but still, that was so uncalled for.
Speaking of piece of shit law enforcement on Big Sky, can we stop this already? The crooked cop storyline is so boring and like I said before we have been there done that. Deputy Harvey is now on the hunt to track down Bridger, who he saw come in to file a police report on the crime he committed. I don’t know what I am really expecting with the law enforcement of Big Sky but would it be so hard to have some good cops who are just after the bad guys?
The kids are still doing their thing struggling with, and hiding what they know about the murders, the drugs, and the drug money. Madison and Harper are both in denial. They just continue to tell Bridger and Max that everything is going to be fine. Nothing is going to be fine. They took drugs, drug money, and witnessed a murder. There is no good that can come from that. I am so mad they have Harper being the one to come up with that dumb plan to have one of her coworkers sell the drugs.
She said it herself that he’s “kind of an idiot” so why the hell would she trust him with the secret or selling the drugs? Max should have just said no and stuck with the plan to dump the drugs. Max’s mom’s greasy boyfriend is getting more and more suspicious so it’s only a matter of time before he finds out what is really going on. He was already snooping through her room so that shed is next. I guess its good that the stuff was moved but that doesn’t mean the problem is solved.
The other storyline that’s getting on my nerves this season is the Wolf/Ronald kidnapping. Wolf Legarski is not exactly like his late brother Rick but, he is far from good. He really does believe he is though in his mission to break Ronald from his wicked ways. He’s using Scarlet as leverage to make him comply, but Ronald is gonna Ronald. Scarlet is playing along quite well. Wolf thinks she’s a great student but if you ask me, she’s just a great manipulator. If Ronald does eventually come around, it will be part of some elaborate scheme for him and Scarlet to break free.
Big Sky season two has to do more to get me back into this show because right now like these characters, I don’t feel like playing along.
- Ren is annoying and cray cray.
- Who is Jag? Is he Ren’s boss? Is he her brother? Is he daddy? Who does she work for?
- Ren trying to give Tonya a pep talk about being a woman while she’s literally kidnapped.
- I feel like Jenny has deeper feelings for Stone than she did for Cody. Stone popped up in episode one and a switch just went off in her. She is so giddy and smiley around him. I think she’s in love with him.
- “Is Mr. Undercover good under the covers? – Cassie to Jenny.
- Stone is hot. I will say this every week until he makes me feel otherwise.
- Everyone saying Tonya going missing is not a priority…wow.
- Bridger spent his $2000 on a police scanner to keep track of all the police activity to follow the updates about the murder they witnessed. I can’t decide if that was a practical purchase or not.
- Not Wolf’s wife telling him to shave his facial hair off to show Ronald “the face of a friend.” Girlfriend, that “friend” was a psychopath.
- It was nice to see Jenny let down her walls a little when Cassie told her how grateful she was that she saved her life. Now if our girl Cassie would only let hers down.
- Ronald would do anything for his cereal
- Deputy Harvey sucks at getting rid of bodies. Maybe Ren needs someone else working for her.
- Glad Jenny and Cassie picked up on how overly solicitous Deputy Harvey was.
- “I’m gonna give you what a little boy gets…a nap.” – Wolf to Ronald before knocking him out.
- Max and Harper are so cute together.
- Cassie and Jerrie working together to solve cases, we love to see it.