When I’m invested in a show it’s all hands on deck. I dissect what I see on screen, apply it to my life, and think about it during the oddest times in my day. I become obsessed about where these people are going and what surprises await them on this journey they’re on.
This week’s iZombie, entitled “Eat, Pray, Liv”, shook that idea up and made me realize that not everything is perfect about this show and journey’s I previously thought I’d become more invested in during Season 3, are actually falling flat. (Looking at you Ravi/Blaine/Peyton love triangle.) I’m still invested in Liv 100% and appreciate the time and effort they’re putting into exploring other people’s stories. I just wish the moves they were making weren’t so cliched and overused. (Again, talking about the love triangle.)
Nevertheless, I’ve got faith in iZombie and plan to stick around to see if they surprise me with something unexpected like they’ve always done. This is only episode 3 and we’ve still got a long way to go!
Liv Continues to Surprise and Delight Me
There was just something about this Liv that set me on edge. Maybe it was her smile, the way her voice never rose, or the way her eyes seemed to glaze over when she dropped a saying about mindfulness. Whatever it was, it creeped me out and I loved it.
Not gonna lie, I didn’t think this show could do what it’s been doing for three seasons now. I thought that the gimmick of eating brains and having a new personality would get boring and that they’d run out of ideas. I was so wrong. They’ll never run out of ideas and no matter how many brains they run through, she’ll always be Liv.
Liv’s afforded something we’ll never be able to understand, the capability of stepping into someone else’s shoes. And each week we watch her discover something new about herself and the world around her. Eating zombie brains and the shockingly white hair aside, I’m kind of jealous of Liv. She’ll never stop learning and experiencing the world and new pieces of herself.
If anything, watching Liv try new things and make all these discoveries, has pushed me to do the same. (Not eat brains, cuz that’s a whole ‘nother level of crazy.) She’s made me look at a new experience/adventure/opportunity with intrigue instead of fear and doubt. And at the end of the day, a character resonating in your real life, is a pretty amazing thing.
Liv Moore transcends TV.
Ravi & Peyton: Hot Mess Express
How do I feel about the Ravi and Peyton talk, declaration, and car crash? Hella conflicted, that’s how! Peyton had a right to feel angry about Ravi’s initial reaction to her sleeping with Blaine. She didn’t sleep with Blaine because she had malicious intentions. She did it because she met someone brave and someone she thought was worthwhile. That being said…her yelling at Ravi in her office didn’t help things.
He came to apologize and I didn’t think he came for an apology from her. He understood that he let her down and was taking responsibility. She let her hurt feelings cloud her judgement, like Ravi did initially, and snapped back at him, not trusting his intentions aka making things worse. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Three if you count the mess at the morgue where feelings exploded out of Ravi like confetti.
The whole Ravi and Peyton situation is basically people not communicating properly and letting emotion overwhelm them. And it does happen, every single person out there has fallen into an emotional trap of anger. But it’s kind of boring and predictable when show’s pull this move. You can have drama and a couple communicating with each other effectively while still telling a compelling story. I know, shocking.
The way that Peyton found out about Ravi sleeping with Katty and the fact that he slept with her in the first place, felt like a cheap and overused plot twist. And for the first time in my iZombie viewing history, I’m finding myself not caring about an integral plot line of the characters I love aka the love triangle. Here’s hoping it picks up, does something different, and shakes off this predictability I’m starting to spot.
I’m Watching Blaine Like a Hawk
Every time Blaine appears on my screen I find myself watching him like a hawk. I don’t trust him, I’m on edge every time he appears, and I want to pull my hair out because this is exactly what the writers want me to do. They want me to sit and wait, looking at every single interaction of his for a clue to what he’s up to.
I don’t trust Blaine and losing his memories doesn’t make up for what he did. He’s been pulling cons since he was a little boy and this could be his biggest one yet. Pretending like he doesn’t remember anything is his opportunity to start over and he’d be stupid not to take it, especially after his business imploded and Max Rager sunk like the Titanic.
Remember how I said earlier that Liv’s happy and zen self creeped me out? Same thing goes for Blaine. His frightened, non-combative, and docile personality creeps me out. I’m just waiting for the facade to break, a smirk to appear on his face, and for him to throw his hands up in the air and shout, “Surprise!”
Either way, kudos to the writers and the actor for making me angry and skeptical of Blaine week after week. Forget the love triangle. I’m invested in this storyline when it comes to Blaine DeBeers!
- This might sound a little out there and you might question me a little…but I kind of loved the death scene. The silence during that scene pulled me in, put me into a state of tranquility, before shocking me with the camera panning away and blood splattering. Not gonna forget this death anytime soon.
- I miss teenage girl brain Major and I wish Lilywhite still had some on hand during mercenary training.
- The relationship between Ravi and Katty was strange to see. It took me a while to realize the reason it made me uncomfortable is because it was a reflection of men and women, just that they flipped genders. Just think about it, how many times have you seen the man on a TV show/movie treating the female, who is of equal intelligence and education, as if she were less? How many times have the pet names come out? How many times have they just demanded things or assumed because they were a man? Too many to count. I get that from Katty and it makes me feel as uncomfortable if a man was doing it. Respect and an understanding that both are skilled professionals who should be treated as such, is required in these relationships no matter what gender you are or how the script is flipped.
- Major is dying and giving Liv the heart eyes and my HEART CAN’T TAKE IT!
Mindfulness Sayings by Zen Liv:
- “When you hear a noise, just accept it, and then let it drift away. And now if that works for noise, what other unwanted intrusions can we choose to let go?”
- “When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.”
- “Death and life are but sides of single coin. In a way, he’s still alive and always will be.”
- “Identity’s just a hallucination of the unenlightened mind anyway.”
- “Like the fool, you stare at nothing.”
- “You know, you’d be calmer if you lived in the moment.”
- “The lightness and clarity of mindfulness will help us solve the case.”
- “Fear of death is the lock of humanity’s prison.”
iZombie airs Tuesdays at 9/8c on The CW.