We’re back for another week! In Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud” the Frasers lose everything but hold hands while the storm passes and get up again to start a new chapter in their lives because an end, however sad it may be, it’s always a new beginning. Ready?
Here we go!
Destroyed Symbols in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud”
The Big House has been a symbol of Jamie & Claire’s new life. And in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud” we see it destroyed. Our sadness mirrors that of Jamie, Claire, Ian, and everyone on Fraser’s Ridge.
Jamie & Claire lost everything in the blink of an eye. They lost part of their family with the departure of Brianna, Roger, and the children, and now, they lost the only thing they had left: their house.
That house was not just a roof over their heads, but the place where Jamie & Claire were finally able to build a life, a community, and a future. They always dreamed of doing that and Jamie was called to do just that as the owner of Lallybroch. However, life got in the way of their plans and prevented them from carrying them out.
In the end, they got back together and Fraser’s Ridge is the place they built from scratch, the place where they made their dream come true. Seeing in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud” the symbol of all of this disappears is… bleak. Jamie & Claire try to look to the future and move on, together, trying not to think about what they lost, until the dam breaks.
Just as they are leaving Fraser’s Ridge and starting a new path, Claire sees the first post that Jamie had driven into the place that would later become their home, and all the memories came back to her, everything they have lost…and she cried, she cried for all that is gone, while Jamie held her tight, crying silently with her.
But, every end is a beginning. After grieving what they lost in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud,” Jamie & Claire pull themselves together, ready to start a new chapter in their lives and looking forward to the day when they return to the home they created, to build a new house that will be the symbol of their new beginning.
Unbreakable Family Bonds
I can’t believe I’m saying this but in the year of our lord 2023, in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud,” Roger is right! The explosion that took down the Big House is different than what Brianna saw in the paper. She saved them. Yes, there was an explosion and the Big House was destroyed, but everything happened differently thanks to Bree.
This confirms the theory that travelers can’t change the big events of history (Culloden, the American Revolution, the Big House fire) but they can change the little things, the little details. And, in the end, those little details can save the people they love the most.
Also, Brianna and Roger find a connection to Jamie and Claire in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud.” That connects them back to their home, to their family, to their parents.
Because yes, Jamie & Claire are Brianna’s parents but to Roger, they are more than just in-laws. He also sees them as his parents. And knowing about them, feeling them so close, feeling that… they’re still there helps to heal the enormous wound of not really having them there.
It’s an illusion…but it allows Brianna & Roger to get on without them.
Greed Kills More Than Arrows in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud”
Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud” shows us that the Bugs had a lot to hide. They approached the Frasers for their own agenda although they ended up respecting and appreciating them in their own way. However, their greed ended up being their grave.
Despite the deceit and blatant theft of his Aunt Jocasta’s gold bars, Jamie was going to reward the Bugs’ loyalty for so many years by letting them go. However, the greed to take the gold that had cost them so much to seize leads them to create a plan that ended up being the end of their lives as they knew them.
I’m sorry to say this and maybe it’s an unpopular opinion but…they met their end in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud.” The Bugs decided to go back to the Ridge and both Jamie and Ian gave Murdina several chances to stop, but she didn’t, getting the gold was more important than anything, even herself.
That being said, we can understand Arch’s desire for revenge. He is a very proud and spiteful man and Murdina was the love of his life. Anyway, they were in it together just like they were always together because they loved each other. Now, Murdina is gone because Ian killed her and Arch isn’t going to let that go.
So we think that the revenge against Ian that Arch swears to fulfill in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud” is unfair but we understand where it comes from. And, of course, this will be something that will return with force in the future.
Other Stuff in Outlander 7×03 “Death Be Not Proud”
- Ian knows it!!! It makes sense because it’s impossible not to notice the veiled pride and sadness in Jamie’s eyes.
- But I get the feeling that seeing Jamie and Ian talking about William is no coincidence…
- Lizzie is the best… and her two husbands too! Fraser’s Ridge couldn’t be in better hands.
- It’s not the first time Ian has killed someone but this time is different because, despite everything, Murdina was a part of everyone’s life for years and was loyal to them… in her own way. Also, Ian feels that if he knew it was Murdina and not Arch, he wouldn’t have fired that arrow. But he did it… and there’s no going back.
- Caitriona Balfe is singing! (heart eyes)
- I love that Jamie is already planning what the new house will be like.
- Scotland! Ever since it disappeared from the show I’ve missed it…I can’t wait for us and the Frasers to go back to where it all began!
- Jamie and Claire support each other in everything and I love them so much!
- If only it were that easy to keep promises… but I’m afraid it’s going to be harder for Jamie than just taking an oath not to face his son on the battlefield…
- Jamie praying is a callback to seasons 2 and 3 and I’m living!
- Jamie’s dreams of the future are so cute…
- That hidden gold is going to be important in the future, I’m sure of it.
- “Blood of my blood” and those tattoos with their blood — a clear callback to what happens in the book — are a new promise of Jamie and Claire’s “forever” and I’m crying!
- We are right at the point where Fraser’s Ridge became a reality…these two frames of Fraser’s two homes, the place where they planned life and the place where they finally made their plans come true, is PURE GOLD and I’m in tears!
- Ian is afraid of Jenny’s reaction to the man he has become. He is a cute. And yes, Jenny — or Ian — will have thoughts but they will love him whoever he is and be proud of him.