Outlander 5×04 “The Company We Keep” is peak early in the season Outlander: full of setup and foreboding, and yet managing to interrupt the sense of doom and gloom by giving the characters we love a chance to shine in both different and familiar ways.
The thing that we must remember, that we ask the show to remember, is that these people are a family. And I’m not even talking about just Jamie and Claire, Roger and Brianna, but Marsali and Fergus too. Outlander always shines when it remembers that we watch for Jamie and Claire, yes, but we also watch to see these people keep coming together, forming bonds.
In fact, one of the most interesting plot threads of the entire season is whether Jamie and Roger can ever have something more than an antagonistic relationship. But that’s not all we want, is it? We also want Roger to bond with Fergus, because why wouldn’t he? We want Brianna to bond with Marsali. We want this family to be, well …a family.
And we really, really don’t want to suffer come the end of the season, but the last part is probably beyond our control. So, as we contemplate the angst surely coming out way, here are some takeaways from Outlander 5×04 “The Company We Keep”:
- Jamie and Claire have a conversation about keeping the baby, because of course they do, and it’s absolutely everything we wanted out of that conversation and more.
- In fact, the tiny nods, the charged looks, the moments together, the small conversations about everything from the important to the not so important…they all prove why it was a great idea for Claire to come with Jamie: it’s just better television.
- At some point, though, we’re probably gonna need to leave Roger and Jamie alone to figure out their shit.
- We all knew leaving Roger in charge was probably a bad idea, didn’t we?
- Though in all fairness, it’s hard to get anything right when you say hi and people shoot at you.
- Fergus’ and his green cloak have his back, though.
- Just look at Fergus’ face every time he’s in the background of a scene in this episode. Trust me.
- Am I the only one getting a sense that since Claire’s story-line has been so much about her knowledge as a healer, this is going to come up big in the latter half of the season?
- How do I love Marsali? Let me count the ways.
- Something happens in this episode that has me dreading the possibility of Outlander bringing some of the book 6 story-lines into season 5. Please, say it isn’t so. I quite like when I don’t have to rant about this show.
Are you excited about Outlander 5×04 “The Company We Keep”? What are you looking forward to the most? Share with us in the comments below!