A Discovery of Witches returns for season 2 with a vengeance. The show, which delivered one of the strongest first seasons of any show I have seen, actually improves on itself with season 2, believe it or not. And the first episode is a great setup for what’s to come, with some tension, some romance, and yes, some much-needed explanations about what’s to come.
We’ll be holding your hand throughout this season, as we did throughout season 1, and that starts here. You’ll also get a video non-spoilery review and, of course, a full review once the episode is out. So let’s get to it!
Here are some teases for A Discovery of Witches 2×01:
- You thought Matthew and Diana were attractive in season 1? Wait till you see them in period clothes. No, but seriously. Wait till you do.
- The way Matthew doesn’t hold Diana’s hand, as much as always allows her to choose to hold his, will never not one of our favorite things about this OTP.
- The new intro is basically fanvid made intro, I promise.
- You won’t lack feelings for Kit Marlowe, one way or the other. Probably leaning one way more than the other, if we’re being honest.
- If you thought “Stand down, she’s with me” was thrilling, wait till you hear what he says next.
- One of my favorite Diana’s makes her appearance this episode: Eager-to-learn-all-things Diana.
- I can’t remember what I did last week, but Matthew is supposed to remember what he did over 400 years ago?
- Diana is still Diana, not taking any shit from anyone.
- Bishmont hasn’t, if you think about it, spent as much time together. This time they have now is both a honeymoon of sorts, and a chance to truly get to know each other. That means it’ll be a bit bumpy, at times.
- Matthew is a man of hidden depths, and hidden interests. He has a lot of opinions about things you wouldn’t expect him to …like clothes.
- The scene from the photo stills released for the episode, the one with Matthew and Diana walking outside, might be my favorite scene in the premiere. I’ll take 75 moments like this one, please.
- Duty is at the center of this episode – and this season.
- Some dynamics are so well established by now, that even when they bend, they never come close to breaking.
- Fans of the book will feel like they know everything that’s coming, but there are still a few twists coming even if you think you know where this is going.
- Matthew Goode made his name playing romantic heroes, and he still does that with Matthew, but there’s an undercurrent of danger to his character that a lesser actor would have a hard time with, and that he plays to perfection.
Are you excited for the season 2 premiere of A Discovery of Witches? Share with us in the comments below!