New Amsterdam returns next week with an episode that will tug at your heartstrings, even more than an already emotional show typically does. This isn’t just because they are, indeed, tackling the elephant in every room, the COVID pandemic, but because this show has always known how to make its characters accessible, realistic, and above all things, human.
As the season 3 trailer already previewed, the show is returning to a totally changed world. And this has never been the show to just ignore reality, so expect the characters to be affected by the pandemic, and expect that to have long-term consequences – not just physically for some, but emotionally for everyone.
But we wanted to give you a little more of a tease at what you can expect in New Amsterdam season 3, so here are some teasers based on what’s been made available to the press (which we might have already re-watched a few times, for you know, quality assurance purposes):
- You’d be right to worry about Dr. Kapoor, but don’t think this storyline for him is just about the pandemic.
- The first five minutes of season 3 require about a box of Kleenex, at least one cup of wine and maybe some chocolate. They’re some of the most emotional this show has ever done, especially considering the past year.
- You’ll also probably be re-watching them, because there’s just something about those minutes that’s kinda …soothing.
- Lauren Bloom. That is all. Lauren. Bloom.
- We’ve seen her at her worst in this show, but early season 3 Lauren is definitely the best version.
- Sometimes the person who saves everyone needs a little help themselves.
- I really love Iggy, okay? Okay. I want to hug him at least three times an episode.
- Through it all, one thing remains constant in New Amsterdam – Helen and Max are always there for each other.
- And oh yes, that chemistry? Still very much there.
- Max is also very much, you know, Max. The good parts of this are in display at the beginning of season 3.
- Which doesn’t mean Max is always right. It does mean that, even when he isn’t, he’ll try his best to fix it.
- The ending of episode 1 feels both obvious and like a welcome surprise.
- My favorite thing about Helen Sharpe isn’t how great of a doctor she is, though there’s that, or how smart and patient and dedicated she is, but how big her heart is. That’s also on display at the beginning of the season.
- Did I mention you were gonna cry? Like, not just at the beginning, which you will, just …tears. Especially with Dr. Kapoor’s storyline.
- Make of that what you will.
Are you excited for season 3 of New Amsterdam? Share with us in the comments below!