He’s here! We’re finally meeting Superboy and I couldn’t be more excited. Conner Kent is one of the most interesting characters that is connected to Superman’s mythology and bringing him in opens the show up to a world of possibilities. Let’s get right to it and see what Con was up to this episode!
Breaking out of Cadmus
The episode picked up where last season left off. We’re watching Conner break out of Cadmus, only he’s not Conner until he finds a uniform with the name on it. It’s nice to see where the name comes from because I think that’s always the case. He is given the human name to avoid calling him by his lab experiment title. Conner leaves Cadmus with Krypto in tow and the two take on the city despite having Lex’s army after them.
In case you missed it, though, here’s a little backstory on Conner.
After breaking out, Conner basically walks around the city trying to steal a shirt with Superman’s symbol on it and then paying for it. He pays for it with an old lady’s money who he both saved and then inadvertently robbed at the same time. You have to understand, Conner has the emotional understanding of a 2 year old. He’s basically a baby in a young adult’s body. Keep watching the season unfold because he’s sure to be one of the most developed characters by the end of it.
All roads lead here
Conner’s journey leads him back to Kansas but not to the Kent Farm like you’d expect. He ends up on the Luthor farm, meeting Lex’s abusive father. Lex’s memories of his father makes him want to hurt the old man. However, it’s Clark’s (we all know that Clark Kent is Superman right?) compassion that makes him have sympathy for this blind old man who’s been completely forgotten by his family.
Lex has sent Mercy Graves (yes that iconic assassin) after Conner to bring back the clone by any means necessary, even if that means killing his own father. Conner ends up destroying Mercy’s entire army and saving Lex’s dad. Then he teams up with Cadmus scientist, Dr. Eve Watson, who was sent to go after him as well because of her expertise on the subject. She’s the one who created him at Cadmus and the only one who is able to show him what he is, which she does by taking him all the way to San Francisco.
She warns to keep his head down and not try to be a hero if he wants to stay safe before helping him escape MEr. But the Superman in Conner can’t follow that and we are so glad.
Heroes never stop saving people
The cool thing about this episode is how it’s set up. Like last season’s episode that showed up how Kory ended up tracking Rachel, this episode shows us everything leading up to Conner finding the Titans.
While walking the streets of San Francisco, Conner looks up and sees a young man hanging off the side of the building. He’s a bit hesitant to intervene because of what Eve told him but he still does so the moment he sees the young man fall.
That young man is Jason Todd and Conner is the reason he survived his fall.
It turns out that the helicopter overhead was Lex’s and it was looking for Conner. The way this show just connected these two worlds is spectacular. I secretly hope that this means we’ll see Lex Luthor eventually appear and maybe one day, even Clark Kent.
They have to find out the truth about Conner eventually, right?
The saddest thing about this episode is that Mercy shoots Conner with kryptonite bullets and dognaps Krypto. She is such an evil bitch! I love her.
- Krypto is a badass puppy and a hero in his own right. Did you all see how he caught that missile in his mouth?
- I really like Eve and how she was with Conner. Hopefully, we see her again. I also hope they don’t kill her to get to him.
- Conner was adorable learning the world around him.
- The way he stopped those bullets with his chest. That is the most Superman thing EVER!
- He gravitated toward that Superman shirt real quick, didn’t he? In case you don’t recognize it, that’s his Young Justice look, which is another DC show currently airing on the streaming app.
- Jason was in such awe of Conner. I kind of wonder if the dynamic we see between Jason and Conner will be reminiscent of the one between Dick and Conner on Young Justice.
- I know this show is about the Titans but I wouldn’t mind seeing more Young Justice characters appear, such as M’gann, Kaldur, Artemis and Wally West!
- Conner is going to be so upset that the bad guys have Krypto. I hope he saves his buddy fast.
A new episode of Titans is available to stream every Friday on the DC Universe app.