This piece was written during the 2023 WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Without the labor of the writers and actors currently on strike, Outlander being covered here wouldn’t exist. We stand with the WGA and SAG-AFTRA.
We are entering the final stretch of the season! Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet” is an episode that advances the story almost imperceptibly until we don’t get the full picture while making our hearts ache with the Claire & William meeting and its aftermath. Ready?
Here we go!
Newfound Family in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet”
Claire is nothing if she doesn’t try to help everyone she can and that gets her into some trouble in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet.” She finds herself trapped by the British but there is a friendly face amid all this chaos: William.
Claire’s relationship with William is…complicated. He’s a part of Jamie and she loves him for it but, at the same time, he’s a living reminder of the years she’s spent apart from Jamie and it’s always hard for her to see him. But in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet” the love for him prevails.
William is too much like Jamie. Not only his physical features but also his way of acting. He didn’t hesitate to help Claire get what she asked for the prisoners. No one but her seemed to care what was happening to them, but William did.
They may be prisoners but William is not cruel and he will see that they have their basic needs covered as far as possible. Honor, humanity, heart… and respect for the given word. He is pure Jamie.
That swells Claire’s heart with pride in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet.” For her, it’s almost like going back in time and reuniting with Jamie from over twenty years ago, and that makes the weight of watching William lighten a bit.
Two Sides of the Mirror
As for William, he remembers Claire fondly. A good woman, a friend of his father who took him into his house when he was a child and saved his father’s life. So there is an implicit appreciation and affection for her… but that doesn’t make it easy for him to decide to let her go.
As is the case with Jamie, William in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet” must go back on his word to fight for something more worthwhile. This time, it’s about the life debt he owes to Ian. He saved him and now William repays him by letting him run off with Claire.
Now the debt is paid and, when they meet again, we think that the confrontation is assured… and it will be for more than just a matter of British against Rebels.
That being said, we believe that William will end up understanding that sometimes breaking your word is worth it if you help your family.
While William and Claire’s meeting removes the protagonists, there is someone else who is affected by it: Jamie. He never dreamed that Claire would fully accept William’s existence and be together in the same space.
But knowing that they met in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet” and that William helped him get her back makes Jamie feel something special in his heart. It makes him proud and, at the same time, it hurts him.
It’s a similar feeling to what he felt when he saw Bree and William together. But it’s the love and admiration he sees in Claire’s eyes that does the trick for him…and us.
Forced Unexpected Encounters in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet”
Roger finds his own way into the future in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet.” The truth is that a part of me wanted to see this matchup over the Gaelic as it appears in the book, since it is one of my favorite moments, however, I liked this change.
Roger needed to find his purpose in the future and teaching Gaelic, mixing his historian side with his teacher side seems like the perfect place to start.
In addition, in this way, Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet” unites Roger with Rob Cameron. He wants to force his way into his and Bree’s lives. And listening to Roger sing is a pleasure. So it’s a win-win.
Speaking of Cameron, we still don’t trust that charming smile and feigned friendliness. He doesn’t do anything particularly suspicious but, at the same time, his actions are too intrusive, as if he should make sure he stays close to Roger and Bree no matter what, even prying into a thing that isn’t his business.
So yeah, Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet” made it clear that whatever Cameron is looking for, it’s up to no good.
The end of Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet” leaves us speechless. Roger’s ancestor, the one that got him hanged, appears in Lallybroch direct from the 18th century. And the welcome that Roger gives him is nothing short of friendly, how could it be otherwise?
In any case, we already know that he is ‘Nuckelavee’, the shadow that haunted the property and that both Jem and Mandy were trying to warn their parents about.
And the arrival of Buck MacKenzie causes us many questions, why did he travel to the future? Will he be able to return to his time? Why did he look for Roger after everything that happened? We can’t wait to get answers!
Other Stuff in Outlander 7×06 “Where the Waters Meet”
- The way Jamie’s face transforms knowing that Claire isn’t anywhere near him and that she’s in danger…
- Roger doesn’t seem to have any discomfort in his throat or problems singing. Does that mean that everything the book shows about this we won’t see in the show?
- Jamie & Claire scenes. Seriously, NO ONE gets to their level. The love they have for each other, the way they communicate without words, the way the rest of the world disappears when they look at each other, the romantic words they say to each other…Jamie Fraser is the King of Men for a reason. And the love that he shares with Claire is what sustains this show. I said what I said.
- There’s nothing Ian wouldn’t do for his uncle and auntie and I love him for it.
- William begins to learn that sometimes it’s worth breaking your oath and your word for a good reason, even if it kills him. That’s so Jamie…
- William and Claire had hearty eyes on me the whole time!
- We finally got back Claire who is capable of fighting to the last consequences for her patients, no matter what, and who doesn’t bow her head to anyone, especially not to a man who doesn’t respect her as she deserves. Welcome Claire, we missed you!
- I don’t understand why Claire’s patient ended up dying. It seems unnecessary after all…
- Ian and Rachel start to get closer…and I like it!